Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Madison Myers <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/06 17:33:01 UTC

Getting new users to adopt SystemML

Hi all,

Thought it may be a good idea to implement some measures on getting new
users to adopt SystemML. At the moment, I feel there is a big learning
curve and that we could make it easier through clearer tutorials and
examples, a better user experience on the website (continuing the process
of making it better), more articles that explain SystemML at a high level
and how to use it/why it's important. I also think we should get more
questions and answers on Stack Overflow so that overcoming issues is a bit
easier for new users. Longer-term I'd also love to see a course taught
online such as on Coursera as well as in university classrooms so that
people in the field adopt SystemML more early-on.

Also Deron and Mike had some interesting suggestions about visibility. They
suggested having projects using SystemML on personal Github accounts as
well as mentioning SystemML as a skill on LinkedIn.

Would love to know if others agree and/or have suggestions.

Thanks!

--
*Madison J. Myers*
*UC Berkeley, Master of Information & Data Science '17*

*King's College London, MA Political Science '14*
*New York University, BA Political Science '12*

   -
      LinkedIn <http://linkedin.com/in/madisonjmyers>

Re: Getting new users to adopt SystemML

Posted by du...@gmail.com.
+1 this is all great!

Yeah let's definitely get some JIRA issues and PRs started to incorporate new updates.

Also, I'd like to suggest that we construct some beginner examples and have everyone on here (& any others!) try them out. Anything that is difficult or confusing should be documented and analyzed for a possible improvement to the project.

Also, as for having projects and use-cases in personal GitHub accounts, one thing that's been done is to start in a personal account and then additionally propose adding it to the main project once it is relatively stable (perhaps as an example case).  The nice thing about this is having more exposure, especially for these types of (side) projects that use SystemML in a neat way.

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Sent from my iPhone.

Posted by Jeremy Anderson <je...@objectadjective.com>.
+1 all

Posted by Renee Mascarinas <re...@gmail.com>.
+1  Thanks Madison!

Posted by Jeremy Anderson <je...@objectadjective.com>.
+1 Madison

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Jeremy Anderson <je...@objectadjective.com>
wrote:

> > Although this is unavoidable, if the projects are closely associated with
> > SystemML it might be better to have it collocated in the project, as it
> > might make it simpler for users to discover and consistently use.
>
> Thanks Luciano. I'm starting to think this may be the way we want to go,
> creating a research directory in the main apache repo. Our original
> thinking was we wanted to create one centralized repo for all data related
> ux research. I do love this idea, but our research to date is very specific
> to SystemML. We are hoping to link research findings to pull requests. Over
> time, this would provide context for why certain features/changes were made
> and make it easier for future development. If anyone has thoughts on how to
> best handle this, I'd love to hear. :)

+1 to incorporate this as one page in the systemml website or doc

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: Getting new users to adopt SystemML