Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/10 23:01:49 UTC

ASF GSoC mentor eligibility

Hello,

I'm a community member and active contributor of an Apache project and I'd
like to volunteer to be a GSoC mentor this year. However, I'm not currently
an ASF committer or member.

I'd like to clarify if GSoC mentoring is strictly restricted to ASF
committers or can non-committers also volunteer to be mentors or co-mentors?

ps: I'm sending to this list as I didn't find a clear answer on
https://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html.

Thanks,

Paulo

RE: ASF GSoC mentor eligibility

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Mentoring an ASF project, formally, requires you to have an ASF commit bit on the project you are mentoring for. However, the act of mentoring is a community effort. Engage with your project community offering your assistance and asking for someone to work with you as the named mentor. If you can find such a person then you are good to go.

Ross

Thank you for your interest in becoming a GSoC mentor.  Someone will get back to you shortly with the answers to your questions.
Have a great day,
~MelissaExecutive AssistantASF

Posted by Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Paulo,