Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Amine AZZI <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/23 10:51:37 UTC

apply a patch

Hello everyone,

Even though I could find int he documentation how to make a patch, I
couldn't find how to apply a patch that interests me  in JIRA issues.  I am
reading SVN documentation right now but couldn't find anything up to now!
Could someone show which svn command should I use ?

Thanks in advance.
Amine

Re: apply a patch

Posted by Amine AZZI <ba...@gmail.com>.
Yes sure I will as soon as I will get a patch working on my station.
Actually I didn't even download neither patch.exe nor Tortoise.

Amine.

Re: apply a patch

De : "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: apply a patch

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jonathon,

> Jacques,
>
> I'm using Windows too, but many things have been patched by Cygwin, so
I often can't tell which
> functions exist in Windows and which don't.
>
> I see a unix2dos.exe and a cat.exe on my computer. With these 2 small
programs, you can keep
> patches in Unix line-endings, and still avoid the EOL problem.
>
> I can do this: `cat sompatch.patch | unix2dox.exe | patch -Ep0'.
The -E option is removes files
> that should be deleted; if missing, patch will just set a file to
empty, and you won't know which
> files are supposed to be deleted (you just see that the deleted files
are "modified").

Thanks for sharing, could you consider adding this tips and others as
well in http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/YwU. Sharing in a ML is nice but less
efficient than in a Wiki. Thanks.

> Does the Tortoise SVN patch delete files that are supposed to be
deleted? Will it add new files
> created by the patch?

I'm not quite sure but I guess so. To notice : Tortoise SVN patch
actually use svn merge. . Also Tortoise is able to "fix" pathes in
patches if they are wrong (nice feature)

Jacques

Re: apply a patch

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacques,

Re: apply a patch

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jonathon,

> Amine,
>
> Just use `patch'. You won't even need SVN for this. Do `patch -Ep0'
or -Epn (where n > 0) if
> you're not applying from the top-level path.

Amine uses Widows so he needs to download patch.exe before, as it's not
native.

BTW, Amine you may encouter EOL problems with patch.exe. That's why I
prefer to use Tortoise in a 1st step (better svn and cvs UI existing
either on Linux or Windows, besides Tortoise comes from Tigris too).
Then if I get problems with Tortoise (or Eclipse option wich is near
Tortoise for patching but less supple for this option and far more in
general) I use patch and if I get EOL problems I use a bat file
patchdos.bat :

todos %1
patch -p0 < %1

where todos is and exe to download. Of course you will have to deal with
path but at this stage I guess it's easy...

HTH

Jacques

> If you're downloading a patch directly from Jira issues, you might
need to check the nature of the
> patch to work around some possible problems. That's when you might
have to figure out exactly what
> "n" has to be.
>
> If you're looking at something you like on the OFBiz SVN, a good way
to apply a patch is to first
> download a diff from that SVN. That way, any network discontinuities
won't affect your patching
> process. Half-patched processes are quite messy.
>
> Jonathon
>
> Amine AZZI wrote:
> > Thanks Jaques, Actually I am using the command line SVN on windows.
then
> > the
> > best solution would be to download the patch.exe application.
> >
> > Yes, I read your comments regarding that issue, I downloaded the
files, and
> > I am viewing the translation. Some files gave me trouble like
> > FacilityUILabels and AccountingIntegration which no longer exists in
Ofbiz,
> > It seems that sofien used the properties files from Néogia
mistakenely. I
> > uploaded a file of ecommerce module on that issue which was ready
before
> > the
> > colsure of the issue I created before on the same subject.
> >
> > I will give further comments later on.
> >
> > Amine.
> >
> > 2007/4/23, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>:
> >>
> >> Amine,
> >>
> >> You have to use patch command (patch.exe to download on Windows
or -
> >> also for merging - "Apply patch" from Tortoise). You may also use
"Apply
> >> patch" option of Eclipse.
> >>
> >> BTW did you read my last comment in OFBIZ-846
http://tinyurl.com/2qxr4h,
> >> thanks ?
> >>
> >> Jacques

4/22/2007 8:18 PM