Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Talden <ta...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/07 01:47:16 UTC

cvs2svn conversion times

What sort of conversion time should I expect for cvs2svn (full
conversion, using rcs co)

I'm converting a repository with about 20000 files and 5000 folders
that would have had between 10000 and 15000 commits over 4 years.
The respoistory has around 250 tags and 100 branches.  The physical
size of an export (not a working copy) is about 1.5GB. The repository
is about 6GB (though mainly due to a few significant binaries with
high-ish revision numbers).

conversion is being performed on a 'decent' spec machine (core2 E6600)
running CentOS (though the conversion is single-threaded so maybe it's
only half a decent spec machine)

After running across some, admittedly dated, emails noting running
times approaching 1 month I've come here, hat in hand, hoping for some
reassurance...

I'm aware the times will vary greatly but can anyone give any
reasonable confidence that the machine won't be grinding for week upon
week.  It's going to be tough to migrate over with that kind of
processing time.  Have many here used cvs2svn for their migration?

--
Talden

Re: cvs2svn conversion times

Posted by Troy Curtis Jr <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 2/6/07, Talden <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What sort of conversion time should I expect for cvs2svn (full
> conversion, using rcs co)
>
> I'm converting a repository with about 20000 files and 5000 folders
> that would have had between 10000 and 15000 commits over 4 years.
> The respoistory has around 250 tags and 100 branches.  The physical
> size of an export (not a working copy) is about 1.5GB. The repository
> is about 6GB (though mainly due to a few significant binaries with
> high-ish revision numbers).
>
> conversion is being performed on a 'decent' spec machine (core2 E6600)
> running CentOS (though the conversion is single-threaded so maybe it's
> only half a decent spec machine)
>
> After running across some, admittedly dated, emails noting running
> times approaching 1 month I've come here, hat in hand, hoping for some
> reassurance...
>
> I'm aware the times will vary greatly but can anyone give any
> reasonable confidence that the machine won't be grinding for week upon
> week.  It's going to be tough to migrate over with that kind of
> processing time.  Have many here used cvs2svn for their migration?
>
> --
> Talden

where I had given some actual numbers for this process but I guess I
never sent those to the list.  I had a 1 GB RCS repository which ended
up with just over 60000 commits and had a pretty large number of files
and a fairly complicated directory structure.  My conversion times
were in the neighborhood of 15 hours.

I don't know if you have thought about it too much, but with a large
working copy with potentially a lot of revisions you might take a look
at some of my experiences:
Bascially checkout times with the FSFS on the backend was way to slow
and I had to go with BDB.

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=53888
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=53556
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=52776
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=54519

Troy
--
"Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser." - USA Today
Download now at http://getfirefox.com