Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Timothy Dilbert <td...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/24 17:07:59 UTC

SAML authentication working, but UX experience is not ideal

We use SAML to authenticate into Guacamole. For the most part, it has been
working flawlessly, and we have no complaints, except for one thing... it
is difficult to recognise our users.

When a user signs in for the first time, they get what appears to be a
random username (e.g. uuidb964e028-b2e0-XXXX-a725-XX834988ceXX). Moreover,
their *Full Name* and *Email Address* are not brought across from the IDP
to Guacamole.

Below is my guacamole.properties file:

[image: image.png]

Ideally, I would like for:

   1. Their *username* in Guacamole to be their email address;
   2. The *Full Name* and *Email Address* fields in Guacamole to be
   automatically populated (and kept up-to-date) using mapped fields from the
   IDP.

Is any of this possible?

Regards,

Tim

Re: SAML authentication working, but UX experience is not ideal

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 24, 2022, 10:47 AM Timothy Dilbert <td...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're using IBM Security Verify.

You need to configure your IdP to send the NameID in your desired format:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/security-verify?topic=provider-configuring-saml-subject-mapping-attributes

If you have already done this but the IdP is still sending its own UUIDs
instead, you'll need to reach out to your IdP for assistance. There really
isn't anything on the Guacamole side to be done here.

The SAML standard dictates identity with NameIDs. Guacamole will honor
whatever value your SAML IdP says is your identity (NameID). Your IdP is
currently sending a UUID, but appears to have options to change this
behavior.

Shouldn't there be a list of attribute names in the Guacamole documentation
> that the SAML IdP should be sending over? Do you have a list of attribute
> names I should be sending?

No, SAML is a standard that already dictates this. Your identity is
determined by the NameID. If your identity is not coming through as
expected, you need to configure your IdP to send what you expect for the
NameID.

- Mike

Re: SAML authentication working, but UX experience is not ideal

Posted by Timothy Dilbert <td...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timothy Dilbert <td...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

I've checked everything I can within the IdP.

   - I'm already sending the email address as the Name ID.
   - I've even tried selecting "Send all known attributes" but I am getting
   the following error in Tomcat:
   ```
   Unexpected internal error: Duplicate key SAML_GIVEN_NAME
   ```

It's just not clear what I should do next to troubleshoot further. I feel

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.