Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2006/02/15 12:25:45 UTC

[VOTE] Event Admin

I had hoped that the administrative paperwork snafu would be resolved
before conducting another vote, but it still seems to be lingering, so I
think we should just proceed and hope that it all catches up with us.

At any rate, I would like to call a vote on Karl Pauls' contribution of
the R4 Event Admin service and him its maintainer. See the original
message here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-felix-dev/200601.mbox/%3c487a994c0601230524p2fb699d7n@mail.gmail.com%3e

[   ] +1 Accept Event Admin contribution and Karl as committer.
[   ]  0 Does not matter to me.
[   ] -1 Reject Event Admin contribution and Karl as committer.

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> [ X ] +1 Accept Event Admin contribution and Karl as committer.

This sounds like a very valuable implementation!

Greetings, Marcel

Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I'd like to thank the ones who voted, for their support.

I'm very much looking forward to be a member of the felix community.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
pauls@inf.fu-berlin.de

[RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
As far as I'm concerned I'd love to see a combined implementation.

While I believe my implementation does a good job in regard to the
timeout-based blacklisting of eventhandlers it probably isn't the best
solution in case this feature is disabled (i.e., not needed).
Therefore, I'd like to see a combined solution where the one or the
other implementation is used depending on whether one is interested in
timeouts or not.

For the time being I agree with Rick - namely, we can just go with two
separated implementations (when all is said and done, this is what
OSGi is all about, isn't it :-).

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
pauls@inf.fu-berlin.de

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.
francesco furfari a écrit :

> +1
>
> francesco
>
> ----
> what about the Didier an Cervantes Event Admin prototype?

> will they cooperate to the same implementation?

I think this collaboration is possible
Firstly, I have to go in the source code of Karl event admin, and check
his implementation and have an offline discussion with Rick. My
implementation reuses a large part of the WireAdmin which is currently
donated to the ASF.
On my side, I have a set of a utilities for the event admin : demos,
command, bridges with MOM (Ivy,Siena), UPnP event publisher (specially
for you Francesco ;-)) WireAdmin event publisher, DNS-SD event publisher...
Most are available on
http://www-adele.imag.fr/~donsez/dev/osgi/
You can an overview with this script
http://www-adele.imag.fr/~donsez/dev/osgi/script/eventadmin.txt

Best regards

Didier

> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> I have worked with Karl for quite a while and am happy that he wants
>> to be a part of Felix. Not only is Event Admin a worthwhile
>> contribution, but he has recently been discovering some interesting
>> bugs/issues in the framework core, so it appears that he definitely
>> is gaining insight into the core framework code, which is great.
>>
>> -> richard
>>
>> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>>
>>> I had hoped that the administrative paperwork snafu would be
>>> resolved before conducting another vote, but it still seems to be
>>> lingering, so I think we should just proceed and hope that it all
>>> catches up with us.
>>>
>>> At any rate, I would like to call a vote on Karl Pauls' contribution
>>> of the R4 Event Admin service and him its maintainer. See the
>>> original message here:
>>>

>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-felix-dev/200601.mbox/%3c487a994c0601230524p2fb699d7n@mail.gmail.com%3e
>>>

>>> [   ] +1 Accept Event Admin contribution and Karl as committer.
>>> [   ]  0 Does not matter to me.
>>> [   ] -1 Reject Event Admin contribution and Karl as committer.

Didier DONSEZ
Laboratoire LSR, Institut Imag, Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by francesco furfari <fr...@isti.cnr.it>.
+1

francesco

----

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> As a question on due process, should you be combining the acceptance of
> the code contribution with that for an individual as a committer, all in
> a single vote?
>
> I don't know Karl or the code, so this question doesn't relate to *this*
> vote in particular.
>
> AIUI votes on committer status should be in private.

Each community tends to have their own ways. I did wonder about the
'code+committer' thing, but when I mulled upon it, it bothered me less.
Particularly because, in this case at least Richard has a clear
confidence in both code and person.

As to the committer status vote in private - I like having it in public
- it shows people how we work. Some folks might like to check with
others on a private list to ensure that a vote isn't going to result in
a public humilliation by -1 votes for the poor soul.

In the end, it is up to each community how it wants to organise itself,
in ways that stay sensitive to the people involved.

Upayavira

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I am basically following a lead that was set by the initial voting
procedures for Felix.

So far, all contributors have been long-term supporters of OSGi and/or
Oscar, so I don't believe it is an issue. When someone wants to
contribute something and volunteers to maintain it, it sort of makes
sense to me to vote on them at the same time.

However, that does not mean that we cannot decide to separate the two in
the future if people feel it would be better.

-> richard

Re: [VOTE] Event Admin

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Richard S. Hall wrote:
> I had hoped that the administrative paperwork snafu would be resolved
> before conducting another vote, but it still seems to be lingering, so I
> think we should just proceed and hope that it all catches up with us.
>
> At any rate, I would like to call a vote on Karl Pauls' contribution of
> the R4 Event Admin service and him its maintainer. See the original
> message here:
>

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-felix-dev/200601.mbox/%3c487a994c0601230524p2fb699d7n@mail.gmail.com%3e
>

> [   ] +1 Accept Event Admin contribution and Karl as committer.
> [   ]  0 Does not matter to me.
> [   ] -1 Reject Event Admin contribution and Karl as committer.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.