Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/27 02:27:24 UTC

Release dist directory structure

With two significant stable releases happening soon (Velocity 1.5 and
VelocityTools 1.3), i'd like to nail down the distribution directory
structure now.  Changing these things is a pain due to mirroring,
various link locations and such.  I'd rather we get it straight and
stick to it.

Rather than re-hash what's currently out there (which isn't even
totally sync'd with people.apache.org as i write) and our various
understandings of how it should be, i'd like to kick the discussion
off with a proposed structure.

under /dist/velocity, i propose we continue to keep our KEYS file and
directories for engine and tools.  directly under those directories,
we should have folders named after the most recent stable/production
release and--if one exists--a more recent unstable/beta release.

Given our current releases, this would look like:

dist/velocity/
               KEYS
               engine/
                                  1.4/
                                  1.5-beta2/
               tools
                                  1.2/
                                  1.3-rc1/

Since all releases on dist are automatically archived, we should not
keep more than one stable and one unstable release for each branch of
a project.  So each time there is a stable/production release, both
the old stable release and whatever beta/rc/alpha preceded the new
stable release should be deleted.

The "current" symlinks VelocityTools has [had in the past] are a
debatable issue.  Personally, they're a pain to update, and i suspect
they're not even an ASF endorsed procedure.  Unless someone protests,
i'm going to remove them.

If you like this, feel free to give a +1.  If you don't please speak
up soon, so i can get things moved around appropriately and update all
our download links accordingly soon.  :)  If i don't hear anything on
this by Monday afternoon (PST), i'll get started.  though, i may do it
earlier if everyone seems to be on board before then.  :)

so, yeah, feedback is welcome!

Re: Release dist directory structure

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Excellent.  I like it too.  Can you document this, maybe on the Wiki,
when you are done?

Actually, a good place to note the "one stable and one unstable" rule
is on the notes Henning created "How to do releases".

WILL

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: Release dist directory structure

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 1/27/07, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> > "Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > >Henning, i've updated all the relevant stuff in velocity/site that i
> > >can think of, but i have not been able to successfully build it
> > >locally, much less deploy it.  Would you mind deploying the updates
> > >for me today or tomorrow?   Or, if you want to help me figure it out,
> > >here's the error i'm stuck on:
> >
> > Redeployed it. BTW: If you are crying out "how can I update the site":
> > My plan was to set up an automated rebuild (once or twice a day) on a
> > zone using the maven snapshot. However, the relevant infra ticket is
> > now open for quite a while and even gentle prodding on IRC didn't move
> > it (much). Unless anything happens really quick here, I'm not sure if
> > I get this builder set up before I leave for holidays.
>
> Well, that would be nice.  If it doesn't happen before you go, and we
> really need the site updated while you're gone, then i can probably
> find time to just dig in and build maven 2.0.6 myself.

argh.  i checked out the maven 2.0.x head, built it and installed it,
but it is still giving me the same error i was getting with 2.0.4.  i
seem to be stuck at the moment.  well, maybe i'll have some time and
insight to try again monday...

Re: Release dist directory structure

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 1/27/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> "Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >Henning, i've updated all the relevant stuff in velocity/site that i
> >can think of, but i have not been able to successfully build it
> >locally, much less deploy it.  Would you mind deploying the updates
> >for me today or tomorrow?   Or, if you want to help me figure it out,
> >here's the error i'm stuck on:
>
> Redeployed it. BTW: If you are crying out "how can I update the site":
> My plan was to set up an automated rebuild (once or twice a day) on a
> zone using the maven snapshot. However, the relevant infra ticket is
> now open for quite a while and even gentle prodding on IRC didn't move
> it (much). Unless anything happens really quick here, I'm not sure if
> I get this builder set up before I leave for holidays.

Well, that would be nice.  If it doesn't happen before you go, and we
really need the site updated while you're gone, then i can probably
find time to just dig in and build maven 2.0.6 myself.

anyway, thanks for updating it for me. :)  now i just need
www.apache.org and a few mirrors to pick up 1.3-rc1 before i announce
it to the lists. :)

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:

You do need a full maven 2.0.x snapshot unfortunately. Else you get
exactly the described error. Sorry about that, it is a maven problem
(described here:
http://velocity.apache.org/site/tools/velocity-site-doxia-renderer/index.html)

The maven folks cancelled the 2.0.5 release (that's what Vincent
Siveton told me @ IRC), so we are actually waiting for 2.0.6.

I will rebuild the site for you. As a side note: due to some patches
that finally made it into Doxia, we actually have w3c verified XHTML
compliant code now. :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:

>With two significant stable releases happening soon (Velocity 1.5 and
>VelocityTools 1.3), i'd like to nail down the distribution directory
>structure now.  Changing these things is a pain due to mirroring,
>various link locations and such.  I'd rather we get it straight and
>stick to it.

+1

>Rather than re-hash what's currently out there (which isn't even
>totally sync'd with people.apache.org as i write) and our various
>understandings of how it should be, i'd like to kick the discussion
>off with a proposed structure.

>under /dist/velocity, i propose we continue to keep our KEYS file and
>directories for engine and tools.  directly under those directories,

+1

>we should have folders named after the most recent stable/production
>release and--if one exists--a more recent unstable/beta release.

+1

>Given our current releases, this would look like:

>dist/velocity/
>               KEYS
>               engine/
>                                  1.4/
>                                  1.5-beta2/
>               tools
>                                  1.2/
>                                  1.3-rc1/

+1

>Since all releases on dist are automatically archived, we should not
>keep more than one stable and one unstable release for each branch of
>a project.  So each time there is a stable/production release, both
>the old stable release and whatever beta/rc/alpha preceded the new
>stable release should be deleted.

+1

>The "current" symlinks VelocityTools has [had in the past] are a
>debatable issue.  Personally, they're a pain to update, and i suspect
>they're not even an ASF endorsed procedure.  Unless someone protests,
>i'm going to remove them.

+1 +1 +1