Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Harris <ry...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/20 01:42:27 UTC

Tag Index patch (LUCENE-1292) status?

I'm interested in the Tag Index patch (LUCENE-1292), in particular
because of how it enables you to modify certain fields without
reindexing a whole document. However, that issue is marked Lucene
2.3.1 and hasn't been updated since July 2008. Can anyone provide any
status updates on this patch? Questions include:

- Is anyone using this in production?

- Does this work with Lucene 2.9/3.0?

- Is anyone actively working on the patch now?

- Are there any competing approaches now for doing updates to
particular fields? (I haven't found any yet.)

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Tag Index patch (LUCENE-1292) status?

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Great questions....

TI is for untokenized fields only and so is probably for a
different use case than LUCNE-1879 (which is very cool, does it
work yet?). TI should just handle everything underneath, so one
wouldn't manually worry about it.

The only hard part, or untested performance wise part, is the if
a posting "block" becomes too small, how will that affect
performance of posting list iteration (i.e. skipping). Instead
of vint decoding, one'd probably implement TI postings using
PFOR or some other naturally "block"ed posting algorithm, which
PFOR happens to be. So if I started again, which would take a
lot of time to work on, I'd start benchmarking there to see if
the idea is even tenable. Though I'm assuming somehow it works,
as GMail labels appear to implement this type of thing. As more
current responsibilities are far removed from these lower Lucene
levels, I don't see working on it in the near future.

Jason

Posted by Chris Harris <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,