Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2021/05/01 00:39:39 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Introducing Fireant

Hi dev@,

You will have seen the flurry of incoming PR's for dependency updates. These PR's are generated by a new bot (Fireant) that we wrote on a recent USC Capstone project which I mentored.

What is Fireant?
https://github.com/fireant-bot/fireant
Fireant is a Dependabot-like service (tailored to Apache Ant + Ivy projects) which creates pull requests to keep your dependencies secure and up-to-date. We wrote it specifically to assist the Nutch project keep dependencies up-to-date.
Fireant will run nightly as defined in the following Jenkins pipeline
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Nutch/job/nutch-fireant/

Plans
I would like to donate Fireant to the Nutch PMC via the IP Clearance process (I recently did this with some other software specific to Apache Tika).
There are still some issues we are working on, but for the time being, I just wanted to let everyone on dev@ know what was going on.

Feedback welcomes :)
lewismc

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Fireant

Posted by BlackIce <bl...@gmail.com>.
Great work, you're the man!

Have a great weekend!

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Seb,

On 2021/05/06 13:56:21, Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> There's one "downgrade" recommendation
>    https://github.com/apache/nutch/pull/612/files

I didn't even notice this one.

> But I suppose that's a bug, so I've reported
>    https://github.com/fireant-bot/fireant/issues/70

Thanks for that.

> Would it be possible to get one PR for all upgrades
> or for groups of dependencies instead of one PR for each
> dependency?

Right now... no. That would be new code.

> The "okhttp" and "okhttp-brotli" versions are meant to stay in sync.
> If we need to do the upgrade in two steps we might see one failing build
> intermediately.

Understood. I suspected that this would may a problem but again, this kind of behaviour is not currently accommodated yet.

This feedback is really valuable thanks for it.

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

great!  Thanks - also to the Capstone team!

There's one "downgrade" recommendation
   https://github.com/apache/nutch/pull/612/files
But I suppose that's a bug, so I've reported
   https://github.com/fireant-bot/fireant/issues/70

Would it be possible to get one PR for all upgrades
or for groups of dependencies instead of one PR for each
dependency?

The "okhttp" and "okhttp-brotli" versions are meant to stay in sync.
If we need to do the upgrade in two steps we might see one failing build
intermediately.

Best,
Sebastian