Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/08 18:38:02 UTC

Apache NetBeans 12.2-rc1 is Available for Testing!

Dear Apache NetBeans community,

The first, and hopefully final release candidate of Apache NetBeans 12.2
is available.

As per the release schedule, NB 12.2 is a non-LTS release, and will
not have a full NetCAT process. However, feedback and testing from
those on the dev@ and netcat@ lists would still be appreciated,
particularly around new features. Please file issues in JIRA as
necessary, with the affects and fix versions set to 12.2. Please take
note of the Bug Priority Guidelines (link below), in particular so
that we can address critical and blocking issues if they arise.

**The following rules are applied to the PR-s :**

As this is a release candidate, if everything goes right the release
build would be cut from the very same git commit as this one.

Only fixes for blocker issues are allowed this time! The rules are the
following:
- The blocker issue, if found has to be announced and discussed on the
developer mailing list first. Please note that if you have concern about
the the licensing of some files/component please raise it now as those
are considered blocking.
- If there would be an eventual need of fix, please:
- Mark the milestone as: 12.2
- Please add me (lkishalmi) as an additional reviewer

That would also indicate that we do another release candidate when the
issue is fixed.

I've merged all the changes happened for NetBeans12.2-rc1 to the master,
so from now let the master branch be the base of your development for 12.3:
- If you feel the PR is ready for 12.3 then mark that milestone
- Add the usual reviewers
- API/SPI changes are fine
- Structural changes are welcome if needed

Changes from NetBeans 12.2-beta3:

In summary: mostly polishing work for the VSCode extension and PHP. See
the details at:

https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release122/15/changes

If everything goes right the Next action would be the vote on the
release from 15th of November!

The NetBeans 12.2-rc1 artifacts are here:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release122/16/artifact/dist

Link to the binary zip:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release122/16/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.2-rc1-bin.zip

SHA512:
a66d7c2815fbeaa1f6b72f1b3f813601faf7989eb5512856d935f3d1332f21b7b0a7b49cfedb9eb7507e4ea827141fd68520c335b65098582d623644ca918c0d

The sources are here:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release122/16/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.2-rc1-source.zip

SHA512:
642599c5c479512be8d6f7b21d88a601b0d2a52aeb476c901bf298479e3713e5e9eb3a5daabcb491e2f1d5c17fb0819bedd535b4ec4a5fd7f094b3bdd07672b9

The PRs already integrated into 12.2-rc1 are:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Aclosed+milestone%3A12.2

The NB 12.2 Wiki page is shaping up, thanks to Geertjan, it would be
good if the contributors could provide more screenshots, as this page
will be the base of the website feature page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.2

Release schedule :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Release+Schedule

Bug Priority Guidelines :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Bug+Priority+Guidelines

Thank you for your contributions!

--
Laszlo Kishalmi
Release Manager of Apache NetBeans 12.2

Re: Blocker in VSCode ANLS extension was: Apache NetBeans 12.2-rc1 is Available for Testing!

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Ok. Let's have an rc2 with this change, though I would keep the 15th of
November in place as the fix is in the typescript and affects the VSCode
bundle only.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

#2531 bugfix of NETBEANS-5007 in 12.2. It would be ideal if there was a way
to achieve both!

Re: Apache NetBeans 12.2-rc1 is Available for Testing!

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Dear Apache NetBeans community,

I would like to add NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension to 12.2
release as already announced.
The build of the extension can be found here:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-vscode/

It is build labeled 12.2.-rc1 (*173.vsix) in a file name.

Please give it a try.

I leave it up Laszlo K. and others if voting for this complementary
binary should be done with main NB 12.2 binary or after that.

During testing today there was discovered one last minute bug in VSIX
TypeScript code, not in NetBeans main code base.
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2531 PR is ready and is simple.

I don't want to delay NB 12.2 release any further as this does not
affect main Apache NetBeans 12.2 code base and binaries many people are
awaiting. The problem is in VSIX which is very new code.

I propose that NB 12.2 release is done as currently planned and Apache
NetBeans Language Server VSIX will be built based on official NB 12.2
sources + this change in TypeScript code.

Is it acceptable?

Thank you,
Martin Balin

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
I had some time to fix this one! Thanks for the hints Neil!

Had to trigger the website build manually though, to get it work.

I mark this one to update the release documentation with.

Posted by Javier Ortiz Bultron <ja...@gmail.com>.
The same issue I reported last time is still present and seems to be tied
to nb-javac.

Not sure what more info to provide.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4931

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
I got the following warning when I clicked the Check for Updates button.

"Unable to connect to the NetBeans Distribution because of
https://netbeans.apache.org/nb/updates/12.2/updates.xml.gz?unique=..."

It is going to be redirected to 12.0, right?
Some plugins don't work with the nbm for 12.0 any longer in 12.2 if
there are incompatible API changes.
Actually, some plugins related to PHP don't work in 12.2 if the same
modules as 12.0 are used.
However, we can't provide nbms for 12.2 in the PP at the moment... (we
have to provide them in other places. e.g. GitHub)
I'm going to upload them to GitHub (It may not be good for users.
OTOH, it may be a bother for plugin developers and verifiers to
provide them for each version in the PP).

Thanks,
Junichi

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,