Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/25 20:25:28 UTC

sync FileUtils

There is a lot of stuff in FileUtils that is marked
for Ant 1.7 but that is already in use in Tasks that
have small changes that would be good 1.6.3
candidates.  The FileUtils changes in question (I may
have missed some):

static getFileUtils() method (Martijn)
files comparison ignoring line-endings (Martijn)
remove duplicate code using isAbsolutePath() (Martijn)
getParentFile() delegates to File.getParentFile()
(Jesse)
createNewFile() delegates to File.createNewFile()
(Steve)
new isUpToDate() methods (Steve)

Does anyone object to my (changing 1.7 to 1.6.3 in
code) sync the 1.6 branch to HEAD?  It will make it
much easier to sync other changes over from HEAD and
doesn't appear to carry a lot of risk.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: sync FileUtils

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Matt Benson wrote:
>> Does anyone object to my (changing 1.7 to 1.6.3 in
>> code) sync the 1.6 branch to HEAD?  It will make it
>> much easier to sync other changes over from HEAD and
>> doesn't appear to carry a lot of risk.
>
> I'm +1 to the changes, except that the non-static stuff should not
> be marked as deprecated in the 1.6 branch.

+1

Stefan

Re: sync FileUtils

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
>>I'm +1 to the changes, except that the non-static
>>stuff should not be
>>marked as deprecated in the 1.6 branch.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> So we should pre-deprecate them, i.e. "This will be
> deprecated in a future version."?  ;)

yeah, something like that. People panic when they see deprecation warnings.

Re: sync FileUtils

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
[SNIP]
> I'm +1 to the changes, except that the non-static
> stuff should not be
> marked as deprecated in the 1.6 branch.
[SNIP]

So we should pre-deprecate them, i.e. "This will be
deprecated in a future version."?  ;)

-Matt

Re: sync FileUtils

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Matt Benson wrote:
> There is a lot of stuff in FileUtils that is marked
> for Ant 1.7 but that is already in use in Tasks that
> have small changes that would be good 1.6.3
> candidates.  The FileUtils changes in question (I may
> have missed some):
>
> static getFileUtils() method (Martijn)
> files comparison ignoring line-endings (Martijn)
> remove duplicate code using isAbsolutePath() (Martijn)
> getParentFile() delegates to File.getParentFile()
> (Jesse)
> createNewFile() delegates to File.createNewFile()
> (Steve)
> new isUpToDate() methods (Steve)
>
> Does anyone object to my (changing 1.7 to 1.6.3 in
> code) sync the 1.6 branch to HEAD?  It will make it
> much easier to sync other changes over from HEAD and
> doesn't appear to carry a lot of risk.

I'm +1 to the changes, except that the non-static stuff should not be
marked as deprecated in the 1.6 branch.

My external tasks use this version and I'm getting deprecation warnings
that I know to ignore (and cannot act on without sacrificing 1.6.x
compatibility). Adding the same warning to the 1.6 branch increases the
risk that people see the warning and change their tasks to not work on
the 1.6.2 and earlier releases.

-steve

Re: sync FileUtils

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@apache.org>.
The close methods are also new.
No problem with syncing to ant 1.6.3,
just (as mentioned) remove the "deprecated" flags.

Peter