Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Bleasdale, Bruce" <BB...@playboy.com> on 2003/04/07 18:06:36 UTC

Ant compilation and multiple directories

Hey all,

I have been using the jspc ant task and the jspc.sh script to compile jsps
into class files. However I have run into an issue that many others seem to
as well. If I have jsps such as:

jsp/page.jsp
jsp/test/page.jsp

They both get turned into page_jsp.java and both have the same class name
and are in the same package.

This is not the behavior of tomcat. Obviously tomcat must feed jasper/jspc
with a class name as its requests come in and it compiles jsps, but both the
jspc ant task and the jspc.sh script seem to be pretty useless if you have
anything other than a really simple single directory of jsp files.

Surly I am missing something, since it seems that either this is a problem
that so many others would have run into before or jspc is just not the tool
to use for pre-compiling jsps in a production environment.

If I am not missing something, what work arounds do people typically
implement to allow multiple directories of jsps to be compiled correctly?

--
bruce

--
Bruce Bleasdale
Playboy.com

Re: Ant compilation and multiple directories

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> Surly I am missing something, since it seems that either this is a problem
> that so many others would have run into before or jspc is just not the
tool
> to use for pre-compiling jsps in a production environment.

the tomcat team dont like precompilation, as it leads to too many version
problems. View jspc as testing only.

> If I am not missing something, what work arounds do people typically
> implement to allow multiple directories of jsps to be compiled correctly?

ant 1.5.2 <jspc> has a <webapp> option that may work better.