Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2010/01/21 23:36:25 UTC

[VOTE -- Round 2] Commit hdfs-630 to 0.21?

I'd like to propose a new vote on having hdfs-630 committed to 0.21.
The first vote on this topic, initiated 12/14/2009, was sunk by Tsz Wo
(Nicholas), Sze suggested improvements. Those suggestions have since
been folded into a new version of the hdfs-630 patch.  Its this new
version of the patch -- 0001-Fix-HDFS-630-0.21-svn-2.patch -- that I'd
like us to vote on. For background on why we -- the hbase community
-- think hdfs-630 important, see the notes below from the original
call-to-vote.

I'm obviously +1.

Thanks for you consideration,
St.Ack

P.S. Regards TRUNK, after chatting with Nicholas, TRUNK was cleaned of
the previous versions of hdfs-630 and we'll likely apply
0001-Fix-HDFS-630-trunk-svn-4.patch, a version of
0001-Fix-HDFS-630-0.21-svn-2.patch that works for TRUNK that includes
the Nicholas suggestions.

Re: [VOTE -- Round 2] Commit hdfs-630 to 0.21?

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
+1
Nicholas Sze

Posted by Hairong Kuang <ku...@gmail.com>.
+1

Hairong

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Steve,

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
> tweaked Hadoop to allow the datanodes to get the entire list

are you referring to datanodes or dfs clients here?

The client already gets the entire list of replica locations for a block
from the namenode. and one could always develop a DFS client that is free to
choose whatever locations it decides to pick up the data from, isn't it?

thanks,
dhruba

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Cosmin Lehene wrote:
> Steve,
>
> A DoS could not be done using excludedNodes.
>
> The blacklisting takes place only at DFSClientLevel. The NN will return a
> list of block locations that excludes the nodes the client decided. This
> list isn't persisted anywhere on the server. So if a client excludes the
> entire set of DNs other clients won't be affected.

OK,  +1 then.

Re: [VOTE -- Round 2] Commit hdfs-630 to 0.21?

Posted by Cosmin Lehene <cl...@adobe.com>.
Steve,

A DoS could not be done using excludedNodes.

The blacklisting takes place only at DFSClientLevel. The NN will return a
list of block locations that excludes the nodes the client decided. This
list isn't persisted anywhere on the server. So if a client excludes the
entire set of DNs other clients won't be affected.

Cosmin

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
+1
Nicholas Sze