Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Chuck Simpson <ch...@tcmis.com> on 2003/07/17 21:07:11 UTC

Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

My hostname has an underscore character '_' in it and when I run the
first test to check sendmail relaying to James I get the following in
the smtpserver log:

Error parsing sender address: \
	root@csimpson_gx240: Invalid character at 13

I rechecked RFC822 and it does not proscribe underscores in hostnames.
Why does James not handle this?

Thanks,
Chuck

Re: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Chuck Simpson <ch...@tcmis.com>.
On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:07, Chuck Simpson wrote:
> My hostname has an underscore character '_' in it and when I run the
> first test to check sendmail relaying to James I get the following in
> the smtpserver log:
>
> Error parsing sender address: \
> 	root@csimpson_gx240: Invalid character at 13
>
> I rechecked RFC822 and it does not proscribe underscores in hostnames.
> Why does James not handle this?

I don't usually answer my own posts, but this may help someone else. I
had a few minutes so I checked the James sources and found the problem
in the org.apache.mailet.MailAddress class. The parseDomainName class
should be changed as follows:

private String parseDomainName(String address) throws ParseException {
        StringBuffer resultSB = new StringBuffer();
        //<name> ::= <a> <ldh-str> <let-dig>
        //<ldh-str> ::= <let-dig-hyp> | <let-dig-hyp> <ldh-str>
        //<let-dig> ::= <a> | <d>
        //<let-dig-hyp> ::= <a> | <d> | "-"
        //<a> ::= any one of the 52 alphabetic characters A through Z
        //  in upper case and a through z in lower case or "_"
                                                        ^^^^^^
// add underscore to legal alphabetics

        //<d> ::= any one of the ten digits 0 through 9

        // basically, this is a series of letters, digits, and hyphens,
        // but it can't start with a digit or hypthen
        // and can't end with a hyphen

        // in practice though, we should relax this as domain names can
start
        // with digits as well as letters.  So only check that doesn't
start
        // or end with hyphen.
        while (true) {
            if (pos >= address.length()) {
                break;
            }
            char ch = address.charAt(pos);
            if ((ch >= '0' && ch <= '9') ||
                (ch >= 'a' && ch <= 'z') ||
                (ch >= 'A' && ch <= 'Z') ||
                (ch == '-') || (ch == '_')) {
// add the underscore character ^^^^^^^^^^
                resultSB.append(ch);
                pos++;
                continue;
            }
            if (ch == '.') {
                break;
            }
            throw new ParseException("Invalid character at " + pos);
        }
        String result = resultSB.toString();
        if (result.startsWith("-") || result.endsWith("-")) {
            throw new ParseException("Domain name cannot begin or end
with a hyphen \"-\" at position " + (pos + 1));
        }
        return result;
    }

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> My hostname has an underscore character '_' in it and when I run the
> first test to check sendmail relaying to James I get the following in
> the smtpserver log:

> Error parsing sender address: \
>	root@csimpson_gx240: Invalid character at 13

> I rechecked RFC822 and it does not proscribe underscores in hostnames.
> Why does James not handle this?

RFC 2822, which governs the Internet Message Format, permits it, but RFC
2821, which governs the Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) does not, nor
does the Domain Naming System.  See RFC 1035 and RFC 2821.

RFC 2821 2.3.5:

  "[Domain names] are restricted for SMTP purposes to consist
   of a sequence of letters, digits, and hyphens drawn from
   the ASCII character set"

RFC 1035 also says "when naming a mail domain, the user should satisfy both
the rules of this memo and those in RFC-822."

	--- Noel

Re: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Sheldon Hearn <sh...@starjuice.net>.
On (2003/07/21 13:48), Danny Angus wrote:

> I guess many people already know my feeling about RFC compliance by now.
>
> I'll restate it in context; if we are going to support interoperability with
> broken and non-compliant systems this must be made available as a
> configuration option and preferably OFF as default.

You know, I thought all of this was about HELO arguments.  Now that I
realize it's about email addresses, I withdraw my statement that reality
should be supported.

Such addresses simply can't be delivered to , since the DNS must be used
to look up the appropriate host, and the DNS will fail for hosts with
underscores in them.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

Calling EJBs from mailet

Posted by Satish <sa...@nunet-tech.com>.
Can anyone give me a code snippet of calling EJBs running on JBoss from
a JAMES mailet?

Thanks
Satish

Re: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Steve <st...@browsermedia.com>.
Would it be over-kill to also mention "non-RFC-servers compatability
enabled" or
similar in the James startup messages? There is so little displayed on the
startup
screen that it would certainly stand out. Just a thought.

Steve B.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'd be curious about what Noel thinks as he was pretty grouchy about RFC
> compliance last week.  This seems like a way to balance the needs of both.

Permissively accepting defective addresses in the mail envelope is different
from adding extra text to the message body.

I agree with Danny about the Microsoft problem.  On the other hand, the
Internet content (RFC 2822) allows a wider range of host names than the SMTP
transport.  I can see how it might be permissible in an Intranet
environment.  If we allow more permissive names, I'd leave it off by
default, and have a more clarifying error message explaining the problem
than the current message about an invalid character.

	--- Noel

Re: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:
>>what about having 1 global option saying "support non standard
>>features"?
>
> Works for me.

Works for me too.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> what about having 1 global option saying "support non standard
> features"?

Works for me.

> Enabling this would enable all derival from the standard, such as this
> one.

Yup.

Re: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <la...@frisurf.no>.
On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 15:47, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Danny Angus wrote:
> > Everytime someone turns it on they learn why they had to, because an M$
> > product doesn't comply with the RFC's, and we've provided the workaround as
> > a service to our users, not because we condone M$'s transgression.
> > In the real world we have to accept non-compliance by others, why not take
> > the opportunity to name and shame them?
>
> I just can't get behind making a sysadmin's life difficult like this.
> These problems are hard to diagnose, get dealt with during off-hours,
> involve users getting very upset and having it happen numerous times
> before the sysadmin realizes he needs to flip some non-compliance flag
> in it's mail server.  I just think this would be a way to kill James'
> marketshare.

what about having 1 global option saying "support non standard
features"?
Enabling this would enable all derival from the standard, such as this
one.

This option would be mentionned in the README so that every sys admin
would not be able to miss it at install time.

If you want your users to miss it, but still want them to see that they
enabled them, what about NOT defining a default value for that global
option, and make james fail with a meaningful message stating this
option has to be set.

Then the person who installs james, even if he misses to set it at
installation is obliged to go in the config, obliged to read the note
saying that james support non standard features such as those, but that
you don't like it, and forces the person who installs it to see that.

Like that, everybody's happy.

Comments?

J.

--
CoffeeBreaks - Jerome Lacoste
lacostej@coffeebreaks.org - http://www.CoffeeBreaks.org

Re: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> Everytime someone turns it on they learn why they had to, because an M$
> product doesn't comply with the RFC's, and we've provided the workaround as
> a service to our users, not because we condone M$'s transgression.
> In the real world we have to accept non-compliance by others, why not take
> the opportunity to name and shame them?

I just can't get behind making a sysadmin's life difficult like this.
These problems are hard to diagnose, get dealt with during off-hours,
involve users getting very upset and having it happen numerous times
before the sysadmin realizes he needs to flip some non-compliance flag
in it's mail server.  I just think this would be a way to kill James'
marketshare.

>>The bar is already really really high.
>
> Don't I know it. So lets exert pressure against it getting worse.

Making a server unusable to most people kills adoption, so we're just
leaving ourselves isolated purists.  Believe me, I'd like James to be
adopted to the point that some other mail client/server author would
reference how James handles something, but I don't see us getting there
with this approach.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Serge:

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> I'll restate it in context; if we are going to support interoperability with
> broken and non-compliant systems this must be made available as a
> configuration option and preferably OFF as default.

What's the value of turning this off?  <snarky>So that sysadmin's who
don't have any users can turn on enforcement?</snarky>

> To add support for non-compliant systems as default behaviour is to condone
> non-compliance.
> Condoning non-compliance devalues the standard and leads to the existence of
> an undocumented de-facto standard which is very much harder to research,
> implement, and test. It raises the bar to effective new implementations of
> the system.

The bar is already really really high.  How about instead publishing all

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
I guess many people already know my feeling about RFC compliance by now.

I'll restate it in context; if we are going to support interoperability with
broken and non-compliant systems this must be made available as a
configuration option and preferably OFF as default.

To add support for non-compliant systems as default behaviour is to condone
non-compliance.
Condoning non-compliance devalues the standard and leads to the existence of
an undocumented de-facto standard which is very much harder to research,
implement, and test. It raises the bar to effective new implementations of
the system.

I favour pragmatically providing the option to support broken systems, but
only in such a way that it is apparent to admins that they are moving
outside the published standard behaviour, and requires an assertive action
on their part.

Published standards are possibly the single most important precursor to open
source network software, as can be witnessed by Microsoft's policy of
extending and obfuscating standards as described in the halloween documents,
and I can quote:

"Generally, Microsoft wins by attacking the core weaknesses of OSS projects.

De-commoditize protocols & applications

OSS projects have been able to gain a foothold in many server applications
because of the wide utility of highly commoditized, simple protocols. By
extending these protocols and developing new protocols, we can deny OSS
projects entry into the market.

David Stutz makes a very good point: in competing with Microsoft's level of
desktop integration, "commodity protocols actually become the means of
integration" for OSS projects. There is a large amount of IQ being expended
in various IETF working groups which are quickly creating the architectural
model for integration for these OSS projects. "[1]

This is a political rant on behalf of open source software everywhere, thank
you for listening :-)

d.

[1] http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween1.php

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by Sheldon Hearn <sh...@starjuice.net>.
On (2003/07/17 15:34), Chuck Simpson wrote:

> I had only checked RFC 822 and not 1035. But since I don't control the
> internal network I will have to live with the unfortunate host name
> choice and modify James so I can use it on my workstation.

This real world requirement led to an option being added to the Exim
MTA, specifically allowing these broken hostnames.  It's a generalized,
additive option called helo_allow_chars.

Posted by "Kervin L. Pierre" <ke...@blueprintinc.com>.
maybe james could have a ms-exchange compatibility flag?

*ducks*

:)

Chuck Simpson wrote:

> My mistake.
> I had only checked RFC 822 and not 1035. But since I don't control the
> internal network I will have to live with the unfortunate host name
> choice and modify James so I can use it on my workstation.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck
>
> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 15:11, Steve wrote:
>
>>On the Exim mail list, there is a recent, long thread on this issue. The
>>problem is that Microsoft allows this non RFC-compliant naming on Exchange
>>servers.
>>
>>http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20030623/055701.htm
>>
>>Steve B.

Kervin Pierre

http://kervin.net/

kervin@blueprintinc.com
kervin@kervin.net
kpierre@fit.edu

Re: Why does James reject email addresses with "_" in the hostname?

Posted by Chuck Simpson <ch...@tcmis.com>.
My mistake.

Posted by James Bucanek <su...@gloaming.com>.
Chuck Simpson wrote on Thursday, July 17, 2003:

>My hostname has an underscore character '_' in it

Your hostname is incorrect.

> and when I run the
>first test to check sendmail relaying to James I get the following in
>the smtpserver log:
>
>Error parsing sender address: \
>   root@csimpson_gx240: Invalid character at 13

I'm no James expert, but to the best of my knowledge underscores have never been a legal character in an Internet host name.

>I rechecked RFC822 and it does not proscribe underscores in hostnames.
>Why does James not handle this?

RFC 822 only defines the format of mail messages.  It doesn't define the format of addresses used to identify the recipient or sender.  822 compliant mail *could* be used in internal mail systems that aren't sent using Internet addresses and therefor would not have to conform to Internet address formats.

RFC 952 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc952.html> is what specifies the format of a host name on the Internet:

    1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up to