Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randy Layman <ra...@aswethink.com> on 2001/04/16 19:59:50 UTC

RE: Asking for an Opionio on Apache & Tomcat or Just Apache

	My opinion, and its just that, is that unless there is a compelling
reason to use Apache (like its superior speed in static content, logging
abilities, support of PHP/SSI/mod_perl/whatever, or ability to gracefully
handle very large loads), don't use it.  In most of today's systems, the
complexity is astounding.  Its easy to build a system using 5 to 10 levels
of software (including various OS levels), which increases the number of
points of failure.  Any time that you can decrease the number of levels in a
system you increase its speed (level communication is generally
inter-process communication or sockets) and decrease the number of points of
failure (in this sense, I mean software bugs).  Obviously, if Apache gets
you something that would be difficult, time consuming, or impossible to do
with Tomcat, use it.  But in general, I would advice to use the simplest
approach.

	I know this isn't the opinion you were looking for, but its what I
think is best.

	Randy