Posted to user@uima.apache.org by om...@d-itlab.co.jp on 2008/10/24 06:29:23 UTC

UIMA repsotory

Hi all.

I tried to upload my PEAR file to CMU repository, but after the checking process I didn't get any response (and upload seemed to fail).
In this mailing list, someone tells the repository is designed for older version of UIMA, so latest PEAR cannot be uploaded and update of the repository for current UIMA version is not planed.

Does any one know are there any other repository for UIMA?

Thank you

Osamu Masutani
Denso IT Laboratory,Inc.

RE: UIMA repsotory

Posted by om...@d-itlab.co.jp.
Hi

Thank you for your advise.

When I used PearInstaller an error with yours came.
But I found the result folder structure seemed to be correct.
I thought the JTextAnnotator_ImplBase:initialize() method isn't called when the TAE is installed.
Without this environment check code in initialize(), the PearInstaller process successed.

But I haven't succeeded to upload my PEAR without env checkcode to UCR yet.
The site shows no response (same with PEAR w/env checkcode).
I'll send you PEAR w/o env checkcode soon.

And I wonder why description on setenv.txt doesn't work during PEAR install.
If setting of environmental variables in setenv.txt is done after AE checking process (that calls AE:initialize()), I shouldn't use environmental variables in initialize(). Instead of initialize() should I use other overridden method ?

And is it possible to detect the context TAE init is called by whether PEAR installing or not?

------------------------------
 (株)デンソーアイティーラボラトリ
  増谷 修 (Osamu MASUTANI)
  E-mail: omasutani@d-itlab.co.jp
------------------------------

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Eric Riebling wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>
> - contents edited -
>
>> The UCR repository code might do something with the environmental
>> variable information from the PEAR prior to doing any install or running
>> of the PEAR - Eric - can you say if it does?
>

> The repository doesn't do anything with the PEAR environment variables
> beyond this:
> It does perform edits to setenv.txt to localize paths for setting the
> CLASSPATH prior to calling UIMAFramework.produceAnalysisEngine().
> (or produceCasConsumer(), produceCollectionReader() etc. as appropriate)
>
> Using System.getProperty(name) instead of System.getenv(name): great idea!
>
> -er

I don't konw how your PEAR installation in your repository works, but you don't have to edit
setenv.txt and update any classpath settings. There is a easier way.

There is a PEAR installer API that can install and verify/run PEAR packages. Please refer for
details and for an example to:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.2-incubating/docs/html/references/references.html#ugr.ref.pear.installing_pear_using_API

Additionally during the PEAR installation, independent of how (API, UI) you installed the PEAR, a
PEAR package descriptor is generated automatically. This generated descriptor can be used similar to
an AE descriptor. When using this descriptor, you don't have to take care about classpath, datapath
and "environemnt" variables (System.getProperty(name)). The UIMA framework will take care of that.
For details about the PEAR package descriptor please refer to:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.2-incubating/docs/html/references/references.html#ugr.ref.pear.specifier

Hope that helps.

-- Michael

Re: PEAR metadata/setenv.txt - do env. vars get set automatically?

Posted by Eric Riebling <er...@cs.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
There seem to be 2 separate issues here.

Issue # 1: incompatible Java class file version levels. Even if you
specify in the Pear descriptor, using the

<TOOLKITS>
    <JDK_VERSION>JDK_Version</JDK_VERSION>
</TOOLKITS>

that you are using java 1.4, this specification is not used to compile
your java sources to class files. Instead, whatever development process
you have and use to compile your source code is what determines the
version of the class files. Since you are using Eclipse, this is
controlled by the project settings in Eclipse. You can have the Eclipse
compiler generate java 1.5 level files by specifying this in the
project's properties -> Java Compiler and then setting the Generated
.class files compatibility to 1.5.

If you use another build system to compile your Java sources -> class
files (such as Maven), please refer to the documentation of the
particular build system for how to set the Java class file compatibility
level.

----------------------
Issue # 2: setting of environment variables.

The Pear installer code generates a file, manifest/setenv.txt, which is
a "convenience" file, which lists the environmental variables (other
than CLASSPATH and PATH) in the form of name=value lines. But UIMA does
nothing further with this file.

Java cannot set environmental variables, as far as I understand..

The PEAR wrapper Java code, instead, takes the name-values for
environmental settings specified in the PEAR descriptor and makes them
into Java "System"properties. Java code can access these values using
the Java System class.

If you have other non-Java code that needs to access these values, then,
outside of UIMA, you would need to set up the environmental variables,
in a manner that was Operating System specific (different for Linux and
Windows, for instance).

If you have Java code that is trying to read the environment variables,
if you are using System.getenv(name) method, then change this to
System.getProperty(name) - it will then pick up what the PearWrapper
code specifies (this assumes you are running a PEAR inside an aggregate
using the PEAR wrapper mechanism - see
.
------------------
The UCR repository code might do something with the environmental
variable information from the PEAR prior to doing any install or running
of the PEAR - Eric - can you say if it does?

-Marshall

PEAR metadata/setenv.txt - do env. vars get set automatically?

Posted by Eric Riebling <er...@cs.cmu.edu>.
In an effort to compare apples to apples (no I haven't run things
on a Mac yet!) I tried Java6 and Linux and got the same error
about the environment variable not being defined:

$UIMA_HOME/bin/runPearInstaller.sh
[InstallationController]: extracting /afs/cs/user/er1k/UIMASenWrapper.pear
[InstallationController]: 1636359 bytes extracted
[InstallationProcessor]: start processing InsD file - /afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/er1k/UIMASenWrapper/metadata/install.xml
[InstallationController]: the metadata/setenv.txt file contains required environment variables for this component
[InstallationController]: component UIMASenWrapper installation completed.
SEN_HOME variable is not defined. Please set SEN_HOME your installation directory of sen.

Is there any contract that guarantees that all environment variables
defined in metadata/setenv.txt will be defined when an Analysis
Engine is run from a PEAR, whether by the PEAR Installer or another
means, say UIMAFramework.produceAnalysisEngine()?

Perhaps we are expecting something that is not actually there.  It
may be that only CLASSPATH (and DATAPATH?) are guaranteed to be set.
It is not clear to me from the documentation, so any UIMA developers
reading this please chime in if you know!

Re: UIMA repsotory

Re: UIMA repsotory

Posted by Eric Riebling <er...@cs.cmu.edu>.
It looks like the Uima Component Repository is running
Java 1.5.0_06 and getting conflicts with .class versions
in the PEAR file.  I'm not familiar with the JDK setting
in the PEAR Generator Wizard to know if it addresses
this issue, but you are right to wonder about it!

I'll continue to investigate, thanks for sending your PEAR file.

-er

--
Eric Riebling  NSH 4623,  LTI,   SCS,  CMU
412.268.9872   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~er1k

Re: UIMA repsotory

Posted by Eric Riebling <er...@cs.cmu.edu>.

Re: UIMA repsotory