Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/08/20 20:29:04 UTC

SVN for Metro

Hello.

I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and get SVN and out build
tools in order for a metro TLP.  Since a lot of what is under the current
"trunk" in svn will go to metro, I think it would be better to separate
out what will be in Avalon.

Right now we have this:

/avalon
    /branches
    /cvs-migration-snapshot
    /site
    /tags
    /trunk

What about moving to this:

/avalon
    /branches
    /components  (or) /cornerstone
    /cvs-migration-snapshot
    /framework
    /logkit
    /site
    /tags
    /trunk

Basically, the metro stuff would stay in trunk with its branches and tags
on the top level for now and the other parts which will stay in Avalon
(framework, logkit, cornerstone) will be separated out into their own
directories each with their own {ttb} svn structure.

A couple of other thoughts:
  * do we stay with magic for framework/logkit/cornerstone or do we jump
    back to maven or ant?  These projects don't need a very complicated
    build system and ant or maven would suffice.  (I'm leaning towards
    maven but that's because I still don't know all the magic internals).

  * Site.  So, I imagine the current "new" Avalon site can be transferred
    to metro.  In other words, we'll need a new site for Avalon.  (Right?).
    So anyway, I'm planning on writing this but I want to get some ideas
    on if we want to use forrest or xdoc (maven) or docbook or whatever.
    Then we need to figure out where to put it and how to publish it,...

WDYT?
jaaron