Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl> on 2012/01/13 20:52:52 UTC

time to move on?

Shall we adapt our compatibility policy?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Gr. Sim

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 1/18/2012 7:28 AM, Simon IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 18-01-12 12:02, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> In any case, I suggest posting the proposal to the user list and getting
>> reactions before voting.
>
> Do you mean to say that we will stay on jdk5 when a user says no?

Personally, I would vote "+1" if only one user objects. We are at a
stage where having the java.util, and especially java.util.concurrent,
features that come with SE 6, would be really useful.

After all, we are not proposing yanking River away from anyone stuck on
SE 5. They would just not get be benefits of future development.

I'm just saying that we should take the vote after listening to the users.

Patricia

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 18-01-12 16:40, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> No, I'm suggesting being sensitive to the needs of our users and make an
> informed decision when we've made a reasonable effort to understand
> "everyone's" position.

Ok, be my guest. I'm not going to do this.

Gr. Sim

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
No, I'm suggesting being sensitive to the needs of our users and make an
informed decision when we've made a reasonable effort to understand
"everyone's" position.

Sent via mobile device, please forgive typos and spacing errors.

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Probably a vote.

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Re: time to move on?

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Simon IJskes - QCG wrote:
> Shall we adapt our compatibility policy?
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> Gr. Sim

+1

Might as well, we don't have the resources at present to support Java 5
properly and we can't compile the build on it due to dependencies and
aren't testing on it. Since the bytecode version hasn't changed and no
proxy code has changed, people will be able to have more than one
version of River and Java in a djinn, so they can migrate a djinn
without shutting it down.

Also some of my concurrency work depends on Java 6 library features.

I'll look into what needs to be done to migrate the jtreg tests to java
6.  I think it was just the name service provider and finding a
replacement for keytool.

Cheers,

Peter.