Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by it Force <it...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/04/29 11:24:01 UTC

local document access via HTTPD?

there is this setttings in my httpd.conf for allowing access
to the documentation

#
# Allow access to local system documentation from
localhost
#
Alias /doc/ /usr/share/doc/
<Directory /usr/share/doc>
     order deny,allow
     deny from all
     allow from localhost .localdomain
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

but when i try
http://localhost/doc/

it gives me the partial list  (and acts as if its yet
to anything.

i then have the kill the process of the browser? why? and
how to get rid of this problem?

Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or
Abroad
http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs

Re: local document access via HTTPD?

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
it Force wrote:

> there is this setttings in my httpd.conf for allowing access
> to the documentation
>
> #
> # Allow access to local system documentation from
> localhost
> #
> Alias /doc/ /usr/share/doc/
> <Directory /usr/share/doc>
>      order deny,allow
>      deny from all
>      allow from localhost .localdomain
>      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
> </Directory>
>
> but when i try
> http://localhost/doc/
>
> it gives me the partial list  (and acts as if its yet
> to anything.
>
> i then have the kill the process of the browser? why? and
> how to get rid of this problem?

As an aside, remove the trailing slash from the Alias directive - it
limits the aliasing (see the docs for this directive for details).

However, that is not your problem...

- what happens if you try to get a specific file, e.g.
http://localhost/doc/index.html?
- what happens when you access the directory via the command line? e.g.

# telnet localhost 80
GET /doc/ HTTP/1.0
<return><return>

Rgds,