Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Avik Sengupta <av...@apache.org> on 2002/12/22 13:30:33 UTC

More on images in pdf

[crossposted to centipede and forrest lists]

I've been experimenting with getting images in pdf working, and here are
some debugging info

The error i see in the logs is from FOP --
> ERROR   (2002-12-21) 16:32.40:433   [sitemap] (Unknown-URI)
> Unknown-thread/FOTreeBuilder: Unknown formatting object
^external-graphic
> ERROR   (2002-12-21) 16:32.40:477   [sitemap] (Unknown-URI)
> Unknown-thread/UnknownXMLObj: no handler defined for :external-graphic
> foreign xml

On asking in the FOP list, i was told that
"This means the external-graphic element is in the default namespace.
Usually this is in turn caused by not having the fo namespace
declaration
in scope while generating the external-graphic element"

Now running FOP with my  xml and document2fo.xsl on the command line
using the classes (particularly xalan and xerces) that came with
centipede gives me the correct result. (ie, no error like above, and the
image nicely placed in the pdf)

So i am led to believe that the error is due to some resolver overriding
in the cocoon conf.

Any ideas??

Thanks
-
Avik

Re: More on images in pdf

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Hi Avik,

Since this is sort of a cocoon+fop+forrest problem I'll answer it here.

There are a couple of problems currently with getting images to work.

- Unknown formatting object ^external-graphic
This is caused by a bug in cocoon that is fixed in cvs. An xlink
serializer was losing the namepsace of elements which a "href"
attribute. This is only a problem on the command line and is not a
problem in the webapp.

- the version of Fop in Forrest cannot load images through cocoon
To load images through cocoon it needs to have special handling. This is
only implemented in Fop cvs trunk with a patch to cocoon.

It could take a while to get all these things working together in a
release.