Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Lear <ch...@laculine.com> on 2006/06/23 11:09:13 UTC

Re: Separate JVM's for TOMCAT

* birendar.waldiya@tcs.com wrote (23/06/06 09:50):
> Hi ,
>  Can anyone tell me how to make two separate JVM of a single installation
> of tomcat server.
> Remember I dont want different context , but tow separate JVM , is it
> possible ?
> Or tomcat will only be the solution ?

You can use the badly-documented CATALINA_BASE environment variable.

It's mentioned on this page:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/deployment.html
but the best documentation is probably in comments in the catalina.sh
script.

The way it works is reasonably straightforward. The "base" directory
contains subdirs for conf, logs, webapps, and work (and temp, normally).
CATALINA_HOME is the same for all instances, and contains subdirs for
bin, common, and shared. You can use catalina.sh (or .bat) with
different CATALINA_HOME settings to start/stop your different instances.

Chris

Re: Separate JVM's for TOMCAT

Posted by Chris Lear <ch...@laculine.com>.
* Chris Lear wrote (23/06/06 10:09):
> * birendar.waldiya@tcs.com wrote (23/06/06 09:50):
>> Hi ,
>>  Can anyone tell me how to make two separate JVM of a single installation
>> of tomcat server.
>> Remember I dont want different context , but tow separate JVM , is it
>> possible ?
>> Or tomcat will only be the solution ?
>
> You can use the badly-documented CATALINA_BASE environment variable.
>
> It's mentioned on this page:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/deployment.html
> but the best documentation is probably in comments in the catalina.sh
> script.
>
> The way it works is reasonably straightforward. The "base" directory
> contains subdirs for conf, logs, webapps, and work (and temp, normally).
> CATALINA_HOME is the same for all instances, and contains subdirs for
> bin, common, and shared. You can use catalina.sh (or .bat) with
> different CATALINA_HOME settings to start/stop your different instances.

I meant different CATALINA_BASE settings, of course. CATALINA_HOME
should always be the same. Sorry about that.

Chris