Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/08 12:38:39 UTC

what happend to the german version of "The Book"

Hi,

does anyone know something about a german version of "The Book"?

It has been some time now that I read something about it on the (t)svn
lists.

Last I heard was that the svn-l10-de list was stopping working on it
because of an O'Reilly translation on the way.

Lorenz

Re: what happend to the german version of "The Book"

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

>> _F_reeware?
>
>Nope, "treeware", as in paper:

yeeess 8-)  it's friday afternoon, weekend is looming, my brain must
have gone to power saving mode.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 8, 2005, at 8:05 AM, Lorenz wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> O'Reilly released their own (treeware)
>>

> _F_reeware?

Nope, "treeware", as in paper:

    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/treeware.html

Definitely not free.  You need to buy the hardcopy from O'Reilly.

>> German translation of the book,
>>

> I can't find it anywhere, not on http://svnbook.red-bean.com, nor via
> google.

svn checkout http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/src/de

I don't think the translation is very far along yet.

>> and this frustrated the main volunteer translator, who dropped
>> out.  But he recently posted to the svnbook list that he'd like to
>> restart the process.
>>

> then I will have a look into the book list

Yes, he's looking for other volunteers to help him...

Re: what happend to the german version of "The Book"

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

>O'Reilly released their own (treeware)

_F_reeware?

>German translation of the book,

I can't find it anywhere, not on http://svnbook.red-bean.com, nor via
google.

> and this frustrated the main volunteer translator, who dropped
>out.  But he recently posted to the svnbook list that he'd like to
>restart the process.

then I will have a look into the book list

Thanks

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 8, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Lorenz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone know something about a german version of "The Book"?
>
> It has been some time now that I read something about it on the (t)svn
> lists.
>
> Last I heard was that the svn-l10-de list was stopping working on it
> because of an O'Reilly translation on the way.

O'Reilly released their own (treeware) German translation of the
book, and this frustrated the main volunteer translator, who dropped