Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2010/01/15 10:44:28 UTC

Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Hi,

What is the status of obtaining these TCKs?

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
hm - didn't come w/ JSP or servlets... I wonder where it is...

Re: Problems with the process of obtaining TCKs [WAS: Re: Expression Language 2.2 TCK [Was:: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs]]

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Great - I can send you the info under private cover, as long as you can agree that it's not to be published and people that get TCKs are those that are only going to use it on ASF projects, for the purpose of the ASF project itself, rather than a third-party.

geir

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 20/04/2010 19:27, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>>
>> CXF has had the same problem obtaining JAX-WS and JAX-RS TCK's.   We put a
>> note about this in our board report for this month as an issue the board needs
>> to address.    I'm hoping to see SOME action on this tomorrow during the board
>> meeting.   Right now, it all has to go through a single person which is
>> complete anti-community and against the "Apache Way" of doing things.
>
> The Tomcat project isn't due to report again until June. I sincerely
> hope that this issue is resolved by then.
>
> I see you are planning to attend the board meeting tomorrow. Please feel
> free to add Tomcat to the list of projects that currently has issues
> with TCKs. I am also willing to volunteer to join an expanded JCP
> committee and help respond to TCK requests.

Fantastic.  I'll send you the info under private cover. I'll do the same for Dan if he can convincingly articulate an understanding that having a limited access to materials that aren't open source and under a strict license isn't in conflict with our general understanding of "community" and "Apache Way".

geir

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:50 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 April 2010 8:21:19 pm Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>>> CXF has had the same problem obtaining JAX-WS and JAX-RS TCK's.   We put
>>> a note about this in our board report for this month as an issue the
>>> board needs to address.    I'm hoping to see SOME action on this
>>> tomorrow during the board meeting.   Right now, it all has to go through
>>> a single person which is complete anti-community and against the "Apache
>>> Way" of doing things.
>>
>> See my other note re you helping.  I will point out that this is totally
>> orthogonal to "community" or "Apache Way".
>

> Well, there are two issues I have with the current state of affairs:
>
> 1) You are the single contact point (and choke point) for obtaining new and
> updated materials.   THAT is definitely against my understanding of what we
> try to accomplish in our communities.  We put things like "3 independent
> contributors" as requirements for our incubator communities, but not something
> we've enforced here.    We've also encouraged people to help participate in
> other communities in hopes of growing into a role there (like become a
> committer).    Again, not something we've done here.   (although, like
> infrastructure, this is hard to do due to security being required first.)
> The main issue for me is that your spam filters or whatever routinely get in
> the way and requests get lost.  That shouldn't happen and others should be
> able to step up and help out.   (which I would be happy to do, Mark would be
> happy to do, and Jeff Genender would also be happy to do if (2) can be solved)

Right - key here is that this isn't a project, but rather a service of the foundation to projects.  You can certainly say I'm doing a lousy job, but to invoke "community" and "Apache way" doesn't make sense to me.

> 2) The "community" isn't really a participant in anything JCP at Apache does.
> Even things like figuring out how to distribute materials is something that is
> discussable (since I don't have root on mino, that is an issue with me
> participating)   There haven't been a lot of non-Sun votes lately, but they
> certainly should also have a discussion as well.   Things like that.

The ASF has a policy set by the board that we will vote 'no' for any JSR that is being led by an entity that the ASF feels is no longer complying with the terms of the JSPA.  We feel that Sun (and now Oracle) isn't complying with the JSPA, specifically those parts which pertain to providing TCK licenses under unfettered terms.

If you disagree, and wish the ASF to change it's position wrt Sun/Oracle, that would be good to hear.

> If you are OK with expanding (1) to include more people, I'd be happy to start
> off a discussion about how to accomplish the distribution of materials.   I'll
> do that now.  :-)

Again, as long as you stop confusing handling of these things with "the Apache Way", I welcome you volunteering.  I've sent the info to Mark and will do so to you as well.

geir

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Problems with the process of obtaining TCKs [WAS: Re: Expression Language 2.2 TCK [Was:: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs]]

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Ping.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Sorry.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Ping.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Ping.

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
What JSR was it done in?

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
was it a separate JSR?

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

[OT] Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/01/2010 10:09, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> offtopic question:
> what's the JSR for JSP 2.2 ?
> (or is that "only" the MR for the unified el?)

JSP 2.2 / EL 2.2 == JSR 245 MR1

There were some minor changes in JSP 2.2 as well as the EL changes.

Mark

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
offtopic question:

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/01/2010 09:54, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> in your home dir

Many thanks.

Mark

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
done

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
np - I'll go dig that up and drop it in there.

geir

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Rainer Jung <rj...@apache.org>.
Hi Geir,

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
in your home dir

Re: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs

Posted by Filip at Apache <fh...@apache.org>.
could I get a copy as well, user: fhanik

thanks
Filip