Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/08/01 17:25:31 UTC

Re: Getting unit tests to pass

Update:

Look at these beautiful columns of trunk and 0.95 blue and green dots:

+ Andrew's ec2 build: http://54.241.6.143/ (click on the 0.95 and trunk
builds)
+ Apache: https://builds.apache.org/view/H-L/view/HBase/ (ditto)

Thanks all who helped get test passing over the hump (Jimmy, Matteo,
Jeffrey, JD, etc.).

There are still a few flakies and it looks like DistributedLogSplitting can
go 'invisible' on occasion but their time is nigh!

>From here on out, lets keep the dots blue or green.  A failed test though
it may seem unrelated probably is related somehow so I'd suggest paying
closer attention to fails from here on out (sign up for the builds mailing
list if you have not already).

I'd also suggest that we tend away from big fat integration-type unit
tests.  Apache infrastructure is overloaded and it a PITA setting timeouts
and retries so tests will pass in this "hostile" setting.  Consider making
an hbase-it contrib. instead.  These are run w/ less regularity but are
approaching quotidian hopefully on a test rig near you.

Yours,
St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> I'd also suggest that we tend away from big fat integration-type unit
> tests.  Apache infrastructure is overloaded and it a PITA setting timeouts
> and retries so tests will pass in this "hostile" setting.  Consider making
> an hbase-it contrib. instead.

Please feel free to run these using the EC2 resources. Each Jenkins job
runs on a dedicated VM. For 0.94 and 0.95 it makes sense (at least to me)
to have jobs that kick off only the IT tests on each checkin. Will give
coverage not found elsewhere.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy