Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/20 20:17:06 UTC

database backup questions

Hello derby-users:

My questions are:

1)  Is it possible to do an incremental backup for the
derby/cloudscape database?
Where I have a master set, and apply the small increments?

2) Is it possibe to do a SQL text dump of the database? I will need
this so, I can dump the db in text, and compress it using gzip.

TIA!

Re: database backup questions

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Suresh Thalamati wrote:
> Mag Gam wrote:
>
>> Hello derby-users:
>>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1)  Is it possible to do an incremental backup for the
>> derby/cloudscape database?
>> Where I have a master set, and apply the small increments?
>

> Derby has support for roll-forward recovery, using this mechanism  if
> you take  backup with log archive log mode enabled, derby keeps all the
> transaction logs. Using the full backup and the transaction log , one
> can restore the database to latest state before a failure.
>
> Currently, I think there is no support for archiving logs to a backup
> location. So , Transaction logs have to be stored on a fault-tolerant disk.
>
> Derby admin guide has more info under Rollforward section on this topic:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/

Incidently, Suresh wrote an excellent developerWorks article on backup,
restore, and rollforward recovery for derby:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0502thalamati/

  -jean

Re: database backup questions

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com>.
Mag Gam wrote:
> Hello derby-users:
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1)  Is it possible to do an incremental backup for the
> derby/cloudscape database?
> Where I have a master set, and apply the small increments?

Derby has support for roll-forward recovery, using this mechanism  if
you take  backup with log archive log mode enabled, derby keeps all
the transaction logs. Using the full backup and the transaction log ,
one can restore the database to latest state before a failure.

Currently, I think there is no support for archiving logs to a backup
location. So , Transaction logs have to be stored on a fault-tolerant
disk.

Derby admin guide has more info under Rollforward section on this topic:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/

> 2) Is it possibe to do a SQL text dump of the database? I will need
> this so, I can dump the db in text, and compress it using gzip.

I don't think there is such a tool for backup usage. There is debug
property (derby.language.logStatementText) todump the SQL Text into
the error log for debugging purposes.

Derby has export functionality  to dump the table to a file, and a
dblook toool to dump the schema.

Derby backups can compressed using gzip , I don't understand why would
u want to dump sql text and then compress.

Hope that helps.
-suresht