Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Martin Kalen <ma...@todaysystems.com.au> on 2001/06/29 08:12:10 UTC

Diffs for automatic build of single-threaded library

Good afternoon CVS-maintainers and all Xerces-C people,
    attached you will find a patch for enabling automatic build of a
single threaded Xerces-C library. This will work for UNIX and,
supposedly, the new MacOS X command-line builds (perhaps Mr. Berry
would want to review this and remove those parts if it is N/A on
Mac?).

This is a first step towards a submission of a port for SCO/Caldera
OpenServer 5, but I wanted to separate the two to get a clean CVS
history (and make it easier for you to review/test the submissions).

The patches will only make sure that the configure and Makefile.in
framework gets the correct flags automatically. For a single-threaded
library on a specific platform, the platform utils must be updated to
correctly use the APP_NO_THREADS symbol (which most of them allready
do) or XML_USE_NO_THREADS.

I have made sure each Makefile.in generates a Makefile with one of the
following definitions (-D flags):
runConfigure -rpthread => XML_USE_PTHREADS
runConfigure -rdce => XML_USE_DCE (only on hp-11)
runConfigure -rnone => XML_USE_NO_THREADS (and the old APP_NO_THREADS)

The reason I have put the THREADS= symbol everywhere in the source
tree is beacuse my idea is to use it in Makefile.incl and select the
proper flags for compiling/linking (thus the symbol must be set in
every Makefile including Makefile.incl).

The configure diff looks big, but is (apart for the new @thread@
template substitution) just a removal of testing for the unused math
library (-lm) in configure.in. The configure script is generated by
autoconf v2.13.

Please note that this patch is originally made against the Xerces-C
1.4.0 (release) codebase and I have not been able to test it against
the latest Xerces-C. I have, however, used the nightly build from
2001-06-26 for the diff so you should hopefully not have any problems
applying it.

Please advise when you have tested the make-framework and
adjusted/applied the diffs to the nightly builds - I will then get the
latest source and post diffs for an OpenServer port.
Regards,
 Martin.

--
Martin Kalen
Software Engineer

Re: Diffs for automatic build of single-threaded library

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Martin,

Your patch is now in CVS.  Please verify, especially runConfigure, cause some
of your changes conflict with Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann's DCE patch
earlier.  I have to manually merge it.  So please verify if I didn't miss
anything.

Miroslaw,
And similarly, please verify if your DCE support for aix/solaris still work

Thanks!

Tinny