Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/26 19:43:31 UTC

[math] Getting 2.2 out (or, Santa nous a laissé le charbon, mais peut-être par la Nouvelle Année...)

Here's what we have left:

MATH-327 - Push out to 3.0 or resolve as Invalid?
MATH-383 - Currently assigned to Dmitri.  Resolve as Incomplete or Can't
Reproduce?
MATH-402 - Resolve as WONT_FIX
MATH-434 - Any ideas on this?
MATH-385 - Currently assigned to Mikkel
MATH-364, 456 - I will resolve these
MATH-384 - Currently assigned to Mikkel

I will close 402 if I don't hear objections in the next day or two.  I will
start and hopefully complete work on 364/456 today.  I will then start on
385, 384 (in that order) if Mikkel has not put the finishing touches on
them  That leaves 327, 383 and 434.  Any ideas / volunteers to push these
through?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Re: [math] Getting 2.2 out (or, Santa nous a laissé le charbon, mais peut-être par la Nouvelle Année...)

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.

> MATH-327 - Push out to 3.0 or resolve as Invalid?
> MATH-383 - Currently assigned to Dmitri.  Resolve as Incomplete or Can't
> Reproduce?
> MATH-402 - Resolve as WONT_FIX
> MATH-434 - Any ideas on this?

I'll try and take a look at this over the weekend.  I'm not familiar with
this code, but I've worked on simplex solvers before.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
2010/12/26 Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>

> Le 26/12/2010 19:43, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> > Here's what we have left:
> >
> > MATH-327 - Push out to 3.0 or resolve as Invalid?
>
> For now, I would prefer to simply push it to 3.0. It is a numerical
> problem, but I think we should be able to handle it. Unfortunately, that
> would mean reimplementing the SVD again, using a method that do not rely
> on the unstable squaring.
>
> OK.  Thanks

> > MATH-383 - Currently assigned to Dmitri.  Resolve as Incomplete or Can't
> > Reproduce?
> > MATH-402 - Resolve as WONT_FIX
> > MATH-434 - Any ideas on this?
>
> I have sent a message to Ben, who wrote the implementation. I received
> an automatic reply as he will not be available before January 7. For
> now, I think we could push the issue to 3.0 and see if Ben can solve it.
> I guess he is the one who knows this code the best.
>
> OK

> > MATH-385 - Currently assigned to Mikkel
> > MATH-364, 456 - I will resolve these
> > MATH-384 - Currently assigned to Mikkel
> >
> > I will close 402 if I don't hear objections in the next day or two.  I
> will
> > start and hopefully complete work on 364/456 today.  I will then start on
> > 385, 384 (in that order) if Mikkel has not put the finishing touches on
> > them  That leaves 327, 383 and 434.  Any ideas / volunteers to push these
> > through?
>
> Unfortunately I have very few free time these days. I hope to be able to
> work on a more regular basis in late February.
>
> I'm sorry for being so ineffective these days.
>
> No reason to apologize.   "Ineffective" is about the last word any of us
would choose to describe your contributions here :)

Phil

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Dimitri Pourbaix <po...@astro.ulb.ac.be>.
Phil,

> Here's what we have left:
>
> MATH-327 - Push out to 3.0 or resolve as Invalid?
> MATH-383 - Currently assigned to Dmitri.  Resolve as Incomplete or Can't
> Reproduce?

Indeed, cannot reproduce ... and therefore cannot resolve for the time
being.

Greetings,
  Dim.
Dimitri Pourbaix                         *
Institut d'Astronomie et d'Astrophysique *      Don't worry, be happy
CP 226, office 2.N4.211, building NO     *         and CARPE DIEM.
Universite Libre de Bruxelles            *
Boulevard du Triomphe                    *      Tel : +32-2-650.35.71
  B-1050 Bruxelles                        *      Fax : +32-2-650.42.26
http://sb9.astro.ulb.ac.be/~pourbaix     * mailto:pourbaix@astro.ulb.ac.be

Re: [math] Getting 2.2 out (or, Santa nous a laissé le charbon, mais peut-être par la Nouvelle Année...)

Posted by Mikkel Meyer Andersen <mi...@mikl.dk>.
And should I finish the patches up in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/trunk
accordingly? Or do we deal with syncing 2.2 and 3.0 after releasing
3.0?

Cheers, Mikkel.

Posted by Mikkel Meyer Andersen <mi...@mikl.dk>.
2010/12/26 Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>:
> 2010/12/26 Mikkel Meyer Andersen <mi...@mikl.dk>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After a very busy December, I've actually just started on finishing
>> MATH-384 and MATH-385 today (as you might see, I've assigned them to
>> myself some hours ago). So they should be finished within this week
>> (the small suggested changed and tests).
>>

> Thanks!!   I have been in the same boat :)
Haven't we all here around Christmas :-). I'm quite busy in January as
well, but after that I'm hopefully going to get some more time again.

>> Just to be sure that I do this correctly. Should I work in a
>> repository created by svn co
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/branches/MATH_2_X
>> or how should I do it properly?
>>

> Yes, the unfortunate and tricky bit is that we also need to apply the
> changes to trunk.  There may be some changes necessary to work with the new
> exceptions classes and other API changes.  For example, the distributions
> are immutable in 3.0.
I've submitted a new patch to resolve MATH-385. When you have had the
chance to look it through -- and possible changes made -- I'm going to
commit it. After that, I'll port it to trunk and commit it here.
Shouldn't be too much to change in this small patch.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikkel Meyer Andersen <mi...@mikl.dk>.
Hi,