Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ritz123 <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/18 23:35:36 UTC

Benefits of dynmic view entity

Hi,

I am hoping someone can tell me what are the benefits to creating dynamic
(runtime) view entities over  executing the SQL statements directly using
delegator.

Thanks

Re: Benefits of dynmic view entity

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

Thanks for the insights.

 > The main argument is that programs written in C are faster than
 > programs written in Java. I'm not an expert in this, but years ago
 > when this was a big debate and a lot of work in this area was being
 > done on Java (back when JRockit actually had a market because the
 > Sun JVMs were pretty slow) I did quite a bit of reading and
 > following the news.

I do C for machines big and small. Many flavors of C for several OSes out there, including Windows.

I've done Java from the time it was first introduced, when it was new-fangled. I think we started
playing with Java at about the same time?

My frustrations with C, and Java, have a long history. It may not be obvious here, but I have
always been a strong proponent of C++ over C (or Java over faster specialized languages). I
actually do agree with you that C isn't faster in many aspects.

 > The idea that C is faster than Java may have been true 5-6 years
 > ago, but it is not true any more. Java has WAY more efficient memory
 > management with asynchronous and multi-threaded de-allocation
 > combined with efficient real-time allocation.

Multi-threaded stuff in Java (including for garbage collection) existed many years ago, since 1.2.

As you had implied before, stale cache entries (and also "wrong" cache clearing) will impact GC
performance a lot. The multi-threaded de-allocation amounts to little or nothing on its own. The
improvements come from better algos based on heuristics (95-99% accuracy within reasonable
timeframe). It's the field of indeterministic algos that solve complex problems (to 95%
optimality) much faster than deterministic algos do (to 100% optimality). Note that there must be
"critical mass" or "critical level of complexity" for such GCs to work well; still best to do
simple algos with deterministic approach.

The idea that C is faster than Java is mainly due to the fact that programmers can control memory
allocation in C. In Java, programmers are at the mercy of an indeterministic factor. Even today,
the fact that C programmers can clearly (deterministically) plan out memory usage makes for
extremely fast and specialized codes. Small and specialized codes have insufficient level of
complexity for the heuristics approach.

However, though C is technically faster "at the denominator components", the entire software may
not seem faster to the end-user (fallacy of composition?). The misconception that C is
faster/slower cuts both ways: some think that Java is faster than C now when it still isn't;
others think that faster C makes for faster softwares when it doesn't always.

Concurrency in software is what gives end-users a good (fast) experience. Concurrency is possible
in C, but cumbersome to code. To be in the business of software development, we need something
easier to cook, to lower costs drastically. Today, I would program phones (and many small
machines) with Java. I gave up C for C++ long ago (except for cheaper machines with OSes that
still need C).

 > Most tight loop code in Java is just as fast as in C because of
 > Just-In-Time (JIT) compilation features.

The speed of a C program (or any software) depends on the quality of the compiler. C speed varies
a great deal among different compilers for the same OS, true too for different OSes. True for Java
as well, but let's just say "Java" to mean the language plus its fastest VMs.

While Java has reduced its loop inefficiencies, loops are the easiest things to predictably
improve. Your idea that stale caches is possibly one of the biggest stumbling blocks is correct.

Even the Just-In-Time term will give you a hint about its comparison to All-Compiled-Prior.
Really, I do wish we program games and mission-critical stuff with Java; would cut lots of costs
for me.

 > Just search around the internet... LOTS of work has been done on
 > this and there are many side-by-side tests.

Some tests are made for certain situations, if you get what I mean. But then, situations are what
software usage pattern is all about. So I do agree with you that C is not necessarily faster.

 > However, C versus Java is somewhat irrelevant because getting data
 > locally from memory no matter the language (even a scripting
 > language) is 1-3 orders of magnitude (10-1000 times) faster than
 > communication over a network.

You were discussing caching in C and in Java. A C program that accesses its cache is faster than a
Java program that accesses its Java cache.

I know, you're still thinking about distributed app server and database.

 > Even round-trips to a local hard disk is usually faster (especially
 > for random access to small amounts of data where no streaming or
 > larger blocks are possible).

Faster than over wire? Yes.

Faster than Java accessing cache in memory? Strangely, perhaps (though unlikely I think). Caches
are increasingly becoming the deciding factor in computing speeds today. Hard disks have cache now.

 > So, yeah, all down to basic hardware stuff for the biggest performance
 > impact.

True, especially when hardware is (is still?) getting cheaper at a faster rate than software.
Which is why I don't find "distributing" the app server and RDBMS apart a very common solution
nowadays. Unless the geographical locations of both are truly far apart, I'd rather not separate
the 2 for the sake of separating.

 > There are some entity engine performance tests in the WebTools
 > webapp that compare caching to database performance. If you want to
 > test database caching versus entity engine caching...

As I said, the main plus of Entity Engine caching for me is the ability to programmatically
specify caching strategies to a very flexible degree. I wouldn't do the above test, since I can't
tweak database caching in similarly useful ways. Well, we theoretically can, but why would I want
to learn every RDBMS's caching trick out there when I can just learn a single caching engine in
OFBiz? Don't know if you missed this point in my original post to Ritz123.

About "network" in terms of localhost, it's really accessing the memory (database cache). Given
that OFBiz will be accessing memories in both cases, it boils down to which caching algo is more
efficient. (Which reminds me, I might want to play with OFBiz's caching algo at some point.)

Actually, I see your point. OFBiz will still need to use its network codes (JDBC) to talk to the
local database cache.

 > BTW, the session management in OFBiz is handled by Tomcat, and it is
 > in memory on the app server (or depending on configuration it may
 > save sessions locally to the hard disk for larger session data
 > loads).

Yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks.

Shouldn't session stuff be in database? We currently have server hits histories (in database)
linked to sessions, yet sessions are in Tomcat files. You just reminded me to handle sessions with
JDBC. Thanks.

I counted about 8 times (or just about every paragraph or section) where I agreed with you, or saw
your point. Maybe it's a habit to see the other side of things, to meet ideas at least halfway, to
pick out the best in people or answers, to second people's observations/opinions often (started
out seconding Chris). I don't seem to get that from you a whole lot. Or maybe I just need to
express myself better.

I hope the above clears up the common misconceptions (on ML) about C being faster/slower than
Java, as well as clarify to you my stance on C vs Java.

As a means to an ends, I often simply aim to spell out the truth about OFBiz, while emphasizing
the best useful parts.

Jonathon

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jonathon,

Now that you've explained how you got to the conclusion of caching in
the database is faster than caching in the app server, you comments
make more sense and it is only now possible to answer your question
with any appropriate detail.

The main argument is that programs written in C are faster than
programs written in Java. I'm not an expert in this, but years ago
when this was a big debate and a lot of work in this area was being
done on Java (back when JRockit actually had a market because the Sun
JVMs were pretty slow) I did quite a bit of reading and following the
news. The idea that C is faster than Java may have been true 5-6 years
ago, but it is not true any more. Java has WAY more efficient memory
management with asynchronous and multi-threaded de-allocation combined
with efficient real-time allocation. Most tight loop code in Java is
just as fast as in C because of Just-In-Time (JIT) compilation
features. Just search around the internet... LOTS of work has been

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Hi Ritz,

First, the Entity Engine in OFBiz is really neat. You will want to avoid unstructured (and
possibly mile-long) strings of SQL commands if possible. Also good to avoid RDBMS-specific native
languages.

Chris is right that dynamic view entities are exactly like view entities. Both run through the
same Entity Engine. Caching by OFBiz is also good, though much slower than RDBMS-native caches;
idea is to achieve some good degree of RDBMS-independence. Entity Engine's caching is also easily
programmable; you can't flexibly tweak a RDBMS cache as easily.

When creating dynamic view entities, try to port them over to view entities whenever possible.
Better to have an easy full list of the views in use, in clean and declarative XML form. Not so
good to have your views (or worse, entities) defined in Java code.

Jonathon

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.