Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Vikas <vi...@divsinsol.com> on 2013/04/01 06:59:11 UTC

RE: ofBiz Hosting on Linux Server

Hi Joe Hockaday,

My actual requirement is "I would like to host to a remote server, I only
have a control panel with me."

RE: ofBiz Hosting on Linux Server

Posted by Joe Hockaday <jd...@hotmail.com>.
Vikas,

"I would like to host to a remote server, I only have a control panel with me."

This sounds a lot like you are using a shared hosting provider. Shared hosting is meant for PHP web applications (WordPress, Drupal, etc). You have little say about programs like Java. OfBiz runs inside its own Tomcat wrapper and needs to be run from the command line (the .bat file under Windows, the .sh file under Linux). Even if your shared host provides a jailed shell there is no guarantee that OfBiz will run.

To run OfBiz I would recommend your own server; a rented dedicated host or a Virtual Private Server. You need root (administrator) access, ability to run executable files and access to the package manager. I can recommend a host if you like but I am biased towards my own host provider. Other hosts are available.

To experiment it is probably better if you run your own local virtualised server on your own machine using something like VirtualBox.

"Is it better to purchase a windows server or
Linux server?"Linux. This is a long argument but Linux is better in the server environment.

"How I Can remove the port number (8443, 8080) from the URL?"

You can't. These port numbers are for the worker/administrator sections of OfBiz. They are how you access the internals of your site. Your customers (if you are using e-commerce) will access the site on port 80 (or 443) and so the port numbers won't show up in their web browsers but you can't remove them for your bits.

If you really really wanted to you could theoretically run and configure one OfBiz install for each port function on different webservers so that each of them ran on 443. This would remove the port number from the URL but you would need many different servers and a different domain/address for each bit.

Thanks,

~~Joe

Posted by Sanjeev Gupta <su...@sanjeevg.com>.
performance on Linux will be anytime better that Windows.

-----
Rgds
Sanjeev
www.sanjeevg.com
@sanjeevgcom

Re: ofBiz Hosting on Linux Server

Posted by Vikas <vi...@divsinsol.com>.
Thank You for your quick reply, Is it better to purchase a windows server or
Linux server?

Thank You
Vikas

Re: ofBiz Hosting on Linux Server

Posted by Atul Vani <at...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
If you have brought a shared hosting, then it is of no use to you. You
will need VPS or Dedicated hosting plan.