Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by peeper <si...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/06 17:13:51 UTC

Portal build problems

Hi,

I'm attempting a Jetspeed portal build (not from source) and have
encountered an exception. I've included snipped maven build output,
below, which shows the
org.apache.maven.usability.MojoExecutionExceptionDiagnoser exception.
I can't find any meaningful documentation about the exception on
either Apache's Maven or Jetspeed sites. Anyone have any suggestions about
what may be wrong
or pointers to useful references?

I'm following the Jetexpress tutorial portal documentation and have
found a few other problems in the tutorial documentation. I'd be happy
to assist with updating the documentation, but I'm unsure who to
approach regarding this. Again, any suggestions would be welcome.

$ mvn -e -P tomcat,min
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   jetexpress Portal
 [snip/]
Downloading: javax/activation/activation/1.0.2/activation-1.0.2.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] An Ant BuildException has occured: The following error occurred
while executing this line:
/home/paul/src/jetspeed-training/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:300: The
following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/paul/src/jetspeed-training/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:305: The
following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/paul/src/jetspeed-training/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:505:
java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.maven.usability.MojoExecutionExceptionDiagnoser cannot be
cast to org.apache.maven.usability.diagnostics.ErrorDiagnoser

[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: An Ant
BuildException has occured: The following error occurred while
executing this line:
/home/paul/src/jetspeed-training/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:300: The
following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/paul/src/jetspeed-training/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:305: The
following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/paul/src/jetspeed-training/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:505:
java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.maven.usability.MojoExecutionExceptionDiagnoser cannot be
cast to org.apache.maven.usability.diagnostics.ErrorDiagnoser
       at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:564)
       at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:480)
       at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:459)
       at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
       at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
       at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
       at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:333)
       at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:126)
       at
       at
       at
       at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: An Ant
BuildException has occured: The following error occurred while
executing this line:
 [snip/]
       ... 41 more
org.apache.maven.usability.MojoExecutionExceptionDiagnoser cannot be
cast to org.apache.maven.usability.diagnostics.ErrorDiagnoser
       at
org.apache.maven.usability.diagnostics.ErrorDiagnostics.diagnose(ErrorDiagnostics.java:75)
       at
org.apache.maven.artifact.ant.AbstractArtifactTask.diagnoseError(AbstractArtifactTask.java:382)
       at
org.apache.maven.artifact.ant.AbstractArtifactTask.execute(AbstractArtifactTask.java:455)
       at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:275)
       ... 47 more
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 34 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Aug 05 17:37:18 BST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 16M/36M
[INFO]

Paul.

Re: Portal build problems

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 7, 2008, at 2:06 PM, peeper wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>

>> Maven-2 can be a little difficult to figure out when something goes
>> wrong. Recommend reading the "book". I have a copy of the Maven-2
>> online book, a free download from Sonatype:
>> It used to be available here:
>>
>> http://www.sonatype.com/book/
>>
>> But I don't see it there now, weird.
>>
> Thanks. The book is still there (
> http://www.sonatype.com/book/pdf/maven-definitive-guide.pdf Maven
> Definitive
> Guide ), but there appears to be problems with the page containing
> the book
> links.

Glad you found it.

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> Please create a JIRA issue for any bugs you find in the tutorial
>>
> Will do, though I'd be interested to get involved with development
> and I'm
> not shy of documentation :-)

You can always contribute by sending patches. That is the "apache way"
of doing things. More info found here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html

We write the documentation in a really simple XML format called 'xdocs'

http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/xdoc-format.html

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, that is cryptic.
>> Which version of Maven are you using? Try upgrading to the latest
>> version.
>>
> I have the latest version of maven available to me from the Ubuntu
> repositories, which is 2.0.8. Looking at the change logs of the latest
> release (2.0.9), none of the "bugs fixed" appear to be likely fixes
> for this
> problem - but you never know!
>
> Any further suggestions very much appreciated.

2.0.9 is required for building Jetspeed trunk (2.2). For 2.1.3 and the
tutorial, I think you are fine with 2.0.8 although its untested.
I will be testing the 2.1.3 release build here shortly on a 'clean
machine' against 2.0.9 and a new tutorial Im planning to contribute
soon..

Re: Portal build problems

Posted by peeper <si...@gmail.com>.

David Sean Taylor wrote:

> Hmmm, that is cryptic.
> Which version of Maven are you using? Try upgrading to the latest
> version.

I have the latest version of maven available to me from the Ubuntu
repositories, which is 2.0.8. Looking at the change logs of the latest
release (2.0.9), none of the "bugs fixed" appear to be likely fixes for this
problem - but you never know!

Any further suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.

Re: Portal build problems

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.