Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2007/06/25 19:39:06 UTC

Release plan consensus...

I think there was some consensus in the previous thread about what to do
with the release process. I think this leaves us with a few takeaways.
warning: some of my own opinions/desires are inter:

1. /trunk is 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT. No destabilizing changes should be made to head
(not going to try to define this - I think its ultimately up to us to make
judgement calls).

2. 2.0.1 should follow about 3-4 weeks from now. I.e. the week of the 16th.

3. Any major changes should be done in a branch for now. I'm not sure if we
should have a 2.1 branch or if we should just have branches for individual
features. I'm guess probably just branches for individual features for now
until 2.0.1 is released, and then we can merge everything into trunk. Though
I think the JAX-WS 2.1, JAXB 2.1, and WS-SX stuff are all intertwined at
least, so that will all need to happen in the same code base.

4. 2.1 Should probably happen as soon as we finish TCK testing. That should
give anyone ample time to get new features in if they want. Any features
which don't make it can go into 2.2, which should hopefully follow 8-10
weeks after.

Thoughts?

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: Release plan consensus...

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
It's exactly the same process to merge things from trunk to a branch
or from a branch to trunk afaik.  And in all cases, bugs can be fixed in the
branch before and backported to trunk or the reverse ;-)

On 6/26/07, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> I'm ok with it either way. I was just thinking through things yesterday
> though and figured since we were probably going to have a short release
> cycle it might make sense to make /trunk 2.0.1 as its a PITA to merge
> changes back, but we can keep it as it is for now.
>
> On 6/26/07, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that this is the usual process.
> > Keep trunk for the next major version and create
> > branches for maintenance branches.
> >
> > On 6/26/07, Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Note current trunk pom version is "2.1-incubator-snapshot". Instead of
> > > asking people to create a branch for new features, another option would
> > > be to create a branch for 2.0.1 release, and let people continue use
> > > trunk for 2.1 release works. In this way, any fixes that go into trunk
> > > can be selectively merged to 2.0.1 release branch.
> > >
> > > We need to change pom version to "2.0.1-incubator-snapshot" anyway.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Bo

> > do

> > at