Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/13 18:58:46 UTC

Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Hi everybody,

in trunk's STATUS there are a lot of suggestions about things to
improve/change for 2.6.x. There have been discussions during the past
couple of years about how/when/if to create a 2.6 release branch, but
for a lot of reasons we didn't do any progress. Would it be something
to consider for the next months?

Luca

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
I guess you would want to take trunk as a starting point?

We would probably start with releasing (more) 2.5 alphas/betas. Maybe we
can defer branching to the point, where we aim at the first 2.6.0 GA. At
least I am not aware of a pressing need to do more breaking changes in
trunk right now (and before we might reach 2.6.0). Just want to avoid
that we branch unnecessarily early and have to do more backports than
needed.

Anyways: I am +1 for aiming at 2.6.0 and when to branch is more of a
procedural optimization.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno dom 3 nov 2019 alle ore 18:52 Jim Jagielski
<ji...@jagunet.com> ha scritto:

> On Nov 1, 2019, at 11:59 AM, Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Il giorno mar 29 ott 2019 alle ore 18:31 Graham Leggett
> <mi...@sharp.fm> ha scritto:
>

> On 29 Oct 2019, at 15:51, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> My only question regards workflow w/ trunk. Right now, I think we all agree that there are codepaths and features in trunk that are not as stable as we would like. Which is fine... trunk is CTR. But we do need some way to vet those changes (ie, we need to "R" all those "C"s). Some will be accepted, others not. Into what branch do those accepted go? And for the things not accepted for eventually inclusion in 2.5/2.6, do they get removed from trunk? Do they stay in trunk?
>

> As I recall from v2.4, we branched from trunk, and then we removed anything we deemed “not ready” from the branch. “not ready” had reasonably simple criteria, like “not documented yet”.
>
> So it seems to me that we need to branch trunk into 2.5.x and "clean up" that branch (items 1-5) and leave trunk alone.
>

> +1.
>
> Let’s get a 2.5 out there, and let people bash on it.
>

> If this was the previous way of doing things and it worked, +1 as
> well. Is there anybody willing to start this process?
>

> I don't want to start any process w/o more consensus about going forward... In particular, branching 2.5.x from trunk...

Some steps would need to be taken before creating the new branch
(basically 1. -> 5. in Yann's list), this is why I am advocating to
have one or more people with clear ideas that start the process. It
seems that overall nobody strongly disagrees with branching off trunk
(after tidying it up as necessary), but if needed we can have a quick
vote about a procedure to follow and then start the work. My 2c :)

Luca

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 29 Oct 2019, at 15:51, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> My only question regards workflow w/ trunk. Right now, I think we all agree that there are codepaths and features in trunk that are not as stable as we would like. Which is fine... trunk is CTR. But we do need some way to vet those changes (ie, we need to "R" all those "C"s). Some will be accepted, others not. Into what branch do those accepted go? And for the things not accepted for eventually inclusion in 2.5/2.6, do they get removed from trunk? Do they stay in trunk?

As I recall from v2.4, we branched from trunk, and then we removed anything we deemed “not ready” from the branch. “not ready” had reasonably simple criteria, like “not documented yet”.

> So it seems to me that we need to branch trunk into 2.5.x and "clean up" that branch (items 1-5) and leave trunk alone.

+1.

Let’s get a 2.5 out there, and let people bash on it.

Regards,
Graham
—

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Oct 29, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 9:18 AM Luca Toscano <toscano.luca@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Il giorno ven 25 ott 2019 alle ore 12:52 Yann Ylavic
>> <yl...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> So how about:
>>> 0. github workflow? meanwhile...
>>> 1. compare trunk/2.4.x (inventory)
>>> 2. discuss unused/deprecated in trunk to cleanup
>>> 3. address STALLED entries in trunk if it's not for compatibily reasons
>>> 4. do API/ABI breaking changes in trunk
>>> 5. improve trunk w/ things we want in 2.6.x (the real part!)
>>> 6. trunk => 2.6.x
>>> 7. remove from 2.6.x things not deprecated in 2. but w/ no champion either
>>> 8. 2.6.alpha/beta/gamma/rc/whatever
>>> 9. fix in trunk and backport to 2.6.x
>>> 10. if not good enough goto 8.
>>> 11. 2.6.0
>>> 12+ usual release cycle
>>
>> The above proposal from Yann seems to be something that could work for
>> everybody as far as I can tell, what do you think? Do we need an
>> explicit vote thread?
>
> Nit: Not using 2.5.x is a departure from convention.
>
> I don't think a wholesale vote is needed for #1-5. I am skeptical
> there is interest/velocity in getting past #2.
> By the time we're at #8, I would say a vote is warranted as an
> additional branch has a cost.

My only question regards workflow w/ trunk. Right now, I think we all agree that there are codepaths and features in trunk that are not as stable as we would like. Which is fine... trunk is CTR. But we do need some way to vet those changes (ie, we need to "R" all those "C"s). Some will be accepted, others not. Into what branch do those accepted go? And for the things not accepted for eventually inclusion in 2.5/2.6, do they get removed from trunk? Do they stay in trunk?

So it seems to me that we need to branch trunk into 2.5.x and "clean up" that branch (items 1-5) and leave trunk alone.

Just my 2c

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi everybody,

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 09:35:09PM +0100, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> On 10/25/2019 12:52 PM, Yann Ylavic wrote:
> > My feeling is that it's easier to start from trunk, no strong feeling
> > (an intuitive one).
> >
> > So how about:
> >  0. github workflow? meanwhile...
> >  1. compare trunk/2.4.x (inventory)
> >  2. discuss unused/deprecated in trunk to cleanup
> >  3. address STALLED entries in trunk if it's not for compatibily reasons
> >  4. do API/ABI breaking changes in trunk
> >  5. improve trunk w/ things we want in 2.6.x (the real part!)
> >  6. trunk => 2.6.x
> >  7. remove from 2.6.x things not deprecated in 2. but w/ no champion either
> >  8. 2.6.alpha/beta/gamma/rc/whatever
> >  9. fix in trunk and backport to 2.6.x
> > 10. if not good enough goto 8.
> > 11. 2.6.0
> > 12+ usual release cycle
> > ?
> >
> > If in 1. we find that 2.4.x => 2.6.x is easier/better, well just
> > replace 2. with that and drop 6. and 7.
>
> +1 to the above, with a preference to branch from trunk if possible.

+1 also and a strong preference to branch from trunk.

Regards, Joe

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 10/25/2019 12:52 PM, Yann Ylavic wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 11:06 AM Stefan Eissing
> <st...@greenbytes.de> wrote:
>>
>> As I said in the past, my idea would be to:
>> - trunk -> trunk-old,
>> - copy 2.4.x -> trunk
>> - any feature to bring from trunk-old to the new trunk needs a champion, e.g. someone who does the work (porting and test cases)
>
> I'm not sure, possibly it would be easier to remove/restore from/to
> trunk than backport to 2.6.x. I think most things are in pretty good
> shape in trunk, core things at least.
> If we were to merge the missing/interesting bits in a
> 2.6.x-copy-of-2.4.x, it could be a mess to find all the commits in
> trunk for each feature.
> (Say something /me did, as you very well know it's very likely to be
> spread over multiple commits and back and forth in time :) )
>

>> To some, that looks like we do not honour past work from people (that was one of the arguments brought forward last time).
>
> If, due to the above difficulty for finding all the relevant bits to
> backport, it ends up being large replacement of code (nay whole files)
> with no real merge, I think that's a point though.
> Basing 2.6.x off trunk would preserve history on the things we want to
> keep and maintain, and possibly would be easier to start with (let's
> discuss that!), so best of both worlds?
>
>> But it is not only about honour of devs, but also about the sweat and tears of the maintainers during 2.6.x releases. If a feature does not find someone to merge from one branch to another, how could we support this feature in a release?
>
> Agreed.
>
>> What do the 5-6 people who handle 99% of all PRs think about this?
>
> My feeling is that it's easier to start from trunk, no strong feeling
> (an intuitive one).
>
> So how about:
>  0. github workflow? meanwhile...
>  1. compare trunk/2.4.x (inventory)
>  2. discuss unused/deprecated in trunk to cleanup
>  3. address STALLED entries in trunk if it's not for compatibily reasons
>  4. do API/ABI breaking changes in trunk
>  5. improve trunk w/ things we want in 2.6.x (the real part!)
>  6. trunk => 2.6.x
>  7. remove from 2.6.x things not deprecated in 2. but w/ no champion either
>  8. 2.6.alpha/beta/gamma/rc/whatever
>  9. fix in trunk and backport to 2.6.x
> 10. if not good enough goto 8.
> 11. 2.6.0
> 12+ usual release cycle
> ?
>
> If in 1. we find that 2.4.x => 2.6.x is easier/better, well just
> replace 2. with that and drop 6. and 7.

+1 to the above, with a preference to branch from trunk if possible.

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> I'm fine w/ whatever we all decide.

+1

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 24 Oct 2019, at 14:14, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> Going from 2.4.x to 2.6.x implies an ABI break... Up to now, all backports from trunk have maintained the 2.4.x ABI backwards compatibility.
>
> So I would propose that if we do the below, which I am fine w/ BTW, that the 1st issues we tackle after branching 2.6.x from httpd-24 are all the ABI changes.
>
> Yes, there is a lot of cool stuff in trunk. There is also a lot of, IMO, untested and wonky stuff that I would be somewhat worried about releasing... So that's why I like basing 2.6.x off of 2.4.x rather than trunk.

I would rather we stick to our existing practise of branching off trunk, then evaluating what we want in 2.6 and explicitly removing what we don't want.

This is what we did when 2.4 came out, and it worked well.

> FTR: Both APR and httpd have similar versioning guidelines (semver)... I don't see the attraction or need to revisit it.

I don’t want us reinventing any wheels.

The goal here is to get v2.6 out the door, not reinvent our long established processes from scratch, particularly when the work on the processes sucks time out of work on httpd’s codebase itself.

Regards,
Graham
—

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
Hi All,

I agree with CJ here.

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr>.
Hi Luco,

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Mario Brandt <jb...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Not even a comment? :)

Re: Time for httpd 2.6.x?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Disclaimer: I've been pretty much absentee for a while so take my opinions
with a grain of salt.

From a PR perspective, 7 years is a heck of a long time and it would be
great to remind people that httpd is in fact an actively developed project
doing exciting and modern things.

mod_md all by itself justifies a big splash - most of the world appear to
be still completely unaware of it and while I know version numbers mean
more (and sometimes less) than "yay new thing" it gives us an opportunity
to make a bigger splash.

Apachecon 2020 will be our 25th birthday, as has been mentioned. Having a
New Shiny to talk about on such an important year would be awesome.

Shosholoza,
Rich