Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Waldemar Brodkorb <wb...@aurisp.de> on 2005/09/07 11:34:02 UTC

subversion svn+ssh and password problems

Hi,

I like to use subversion with SSH and password authentication to
access a repository. Unfortunately svn command line client ask two
times for a password and only the second time authentication
succeeds. I use subversion 1.1.4 on Debian or OpenBSD with OpenSSH
and can reproduce the problem. So it is definetely not an OpenSSH or
PAM issue. Next I tried subversion 1.2.3 and the svn client and now
I need to authenticate three times before it succeeds.

The main problem is that I think this is the reason why Eclipse 3.1
with Subclipse 0.9.33 under Windows XP does not work with Secure
Shell and password authentication. I tried both methods, JavaHL and
JavaSVN. The first one works great with public key authentication.

We will now switch over to https, but I would like to discuss if
this is a stupid problem on my side or a bug. I did not find
anything about it in the issue tracker or mailinglist archive.

Thanks for any help.

bye
    Waldemar

--
AurISP IT Consulting, Brodkorb & Ehrhardt GbR
E-Mail:   wbx@aurisp.de          Homepage: http://www.aurisp.de

Re: subversion svn+ssh and password problems

Posted by Jamie Lawrence <ja...@jal.org>.
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005, Vincent Starre wrote:

> This is a known bug, and isnt a high priority because not enough people
> complain about it. So: complain about it, tell your friends to complain
> about it, etc :)

I'll chime in that it annoys me. On some systems that access one of our
repositories, I don't want to use ssh-askpass, for various reasons, and
when doing lots of repository work, it becomes extremely tedious.

There's my whine for the day.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't

Re: subversion svn+ssh and password problems

Posted by Vincent Starre <vs...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Lars Gullik Bjønnes <la...@gullik.net>.
Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> writes:

| The  Subversion client often makes multiple connections to the
| repository,

This is perhaps what is questioned then. Can the svn client be changed
to only connect tot he svnserver once. Benefits? Drawbacks?

--
	Lgb

Re: subversion svn+ssh and password problems

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 7, 2005, at 14:11, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:

>> I think that's this:
>>
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ssh-auth-cache
>
> No, sorry. I know how to configure subversion with SSH public key
> authentication (Under Windows and Linux). The problem is that some
> of our customers like to securely access the repository from outside
> the network without always carrying their private keys with them.
>
> They are using Eclipse and CVS with this setup successfully,
> sometimes complete without public key authentication.
>
> Does anyone use successfully Eclipse and Subclipse with SSH and
> password authentication?

I haven't used Eclipse, CVS, or SVN+SSH, so I can't speak to it
personally. All I can do is repeat what's in the book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch06s03.html#svn-ch-6-sect-3.4

"When using svn+ssh:// URLs to access a repository, remember that
it's the ssh program prompting for authentication, and not the svn
client program. That means there's no automatic password caching
going on (see the section called “Client Credentials Caching”). The
Subversion client often makes multiple connections to the repository,
though users don't normally notice this due to the password caching
feature. When using svn+ssh:// URLs, however, users may be annoyed by
ssh repeatedly asking for a password for every outbound connection.
The solution is to use a separate SSH password-caching tool like ssh-
agent on a Unix-like system, or pageant on Windows."

Re: subversion svn+ssh and password problems

Posted by Waldemar Brodkorb <wb...@aurisp.de>.
Hi,
Ryan Schmidt wrote,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 9/7/05, Waldemar Brodkorb <wb...@aurisp.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like to use subversion with SSH and password authentication to
> access a repository. Unfortunately svn command line client ask two
> times for a password and only the second time authentication
> succeeds. I use subversion 1.1.4 on Debian or OpenBSD with OpenSSH
> and can reproduce the problem. So it is definetely not an OpenSSH or
> PAM issue. Next I tried subversion 1.2.3 and the svn client and now
> I need to authenticate three times before it succeeds.
>
> The main problem is that I think this is the reason why Eclipse 3.1
> with Subclipse 0.9.33 under Windows XP does not work with Secure
> Shell and password authentication. I tried both methods, JavaHL and
> JavaSVN. The first one works great with public key authentication.
>
> We will now switch over to https, but I would like to discuss if
> this is a stupid problem on my side or a bug. I did not find
> anything about it in the issue tracker or mailinglist archive.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Maybe this FAQ item holds the answer for you:
<http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ssh-auth-cache>

/Johan