Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ba ba <so...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/06 03:20:13 UTC

CPU Max Utilization

Greetings,

I'm running a solr instance with 100 million documents in it. The index is
18 GB.

The strange behavior I'm seeing is CPU utilization gets maxed out. I'm
running on an 8 core machine with 32 GB or ram. Every concurrent query I run
on it uses up one of the cores. So, if I am running 1 concurrent query I'm
using up the cpu of one of the cores. If I have 8 concurrent queries I'm
using up all of the cores.

Is this normal to have such a high CPU utilization. If not, what am I doing
wrong here. The only thing I have modified is the schema.xml file to
correspond to the documents I want to store. Everything else is just using
the default values for all the config files.

Thanks.

Re: CPU Max Utilization

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Are you requesting results by relevance or are you sorting by a field?

How many results are you requesting?

Are you using real user queries (with repetition) or a flat
distrubution of queries?

wunder

Re: CPU Max Utilization

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
doFilter is a Servlet Filter method -- SolrDispatchFilter is a Servlet Filter and all requests go through that method.  You ened to dig deeper in your profiler.

 Otis
--
Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR

Posted by ba ba <so...@gmail.com>.

Re: CPU Max Utilization

Posted by ba ba <so...@gmail.com>.

Re: CPU Max Utilization