Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marino Kevin <Ke...@neighborcare.com> on 2005/06/24 14:49:37 UTC

Can you restrict what folders/files can be checked out

So far haven't found the answer. I am using Subversion for web
development and would like to know if I can restrict certain folders and
or files from being allowed to be checked out.

I know I can delete and then use copy to retrieve if necessary.

Thanks

-Kevin Marino

Re: Can you restrict what folders/files can be checked out

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Are you referring to the act of reading files, or to file locking?

Subversion does not necesarily have the concept of 'checkout'.

Ben's reference below is for access to read a file.  I'm not sure if
there is a way to restrict a user from being able to 'lock' the file.

Regards,
Frank

Regards,
Frank

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
So, you want to prevent the user from checking out the file, but
they're allowed to view the contents over the web?

I don't think that's possible.

Do you want to control who can make changes?

Sure, you can use the Perl script (commit-access-control.pl?) that
comes with the Subversion distribution to say who can and can't check
in certain files and folders.

Do you want to prevent people from having access to particular files?

That's has to do with the way you setup Apache.

On 6/24/05, Marino Kevin <Ke...@neighborcare.com> wrote:
> So far haven't found the answer. I am using Subversion for web
> development and would like to know if I can restrict certain folders and
> or files from being allowed to be checked out.
>
> I know I can delete and then use copy to retrieve if necessary.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Kevin Marino

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com