Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sh...@cognizant.com on 2011/09/12 12:03:22 UTC

Issues starting TaskTracker

Hi,

I am trying to setup Hadoop on windows using Cygwin.
Facing issues while starting task tracker:

2011-09-12 15:20:16,890 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl: TaskTracker metrics system started
2011-09-12 15:20:17,375 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSourceAdapter: MBean for source ugi registered.
2011-09-12 15:20:17,390 WARN org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl: Source name ugi already exists!
2011-09-12 15:20:17,562 INFO org.mortbay.log: Logging to org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerAdapter(org.mortbay.log) via org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog
2011-09-12 15:20:17,671 INFO org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer: Added global filtersafety (class=org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer$QuotingInputFilter)
2011-09-12 15:20:17,718 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskLogsTruncater: Initializing logs' truncater with mapRetainSize=-1 and reduceRetainSize=-1
2011-09-12 15:20:17,750 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker: Starting tasktracker with owner as SYSTEM
2011-09-12 15:20:17,750 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker: Can not start task tracker because java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of path: /usr/local/mapredLocalDir/ttprivate to 0700
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.checkReturnValue(RawLocalFileSystem.java:525)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.setPermission(RawLocalFileSystem.java:499)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.mkdirs(RawLocalFileSystem.java:318)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FilterFileSystem.mkdirs(FilterFileSystem.java:183)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.initialize(TaskTracker.java:635)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.<init>(TaskTracker.java:1328)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.main(TaskTracker.java:3430)

2011-09-12 15:20:17,765 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker: SHUTDOWN_MSG:
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down TaskTracker

Have tried manually setting permissions to 0700 but that doesnt help... Still getting the same issue.

Regards,
Shreya

RE: Issues starting TaskTracker

Posted by Sh...@cognizant.com.
Hi Harsh

Is it possible to run my mapreduce programs in cloudera VM (VM is run
using vmware player)??
How can I copy my jar files and input data there.
Regards,
Shreya

From: <Sh...@cognizant.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:16:21
To: <be...@gmail.com>

Hi Bejoy

I am still facing the same issue with task tracker not starting

This was the mail I had sent

[...]

The owner is showing as system whereas

I was getting the message owner SYSTEM when I was using default
locations for "mapred.system.dir" and "mapred.local.dir" in
mapred-site.xml After giving my own locations in mapred-site.xml as
below:

/value></property>

r</value></property>

I was getting the message - running as TITUN, but the same error

Following is the output of ls -al c:/usr/local/mapredLocalDir $ ls -al
c:/usr/local/mapredLocalDir total 0

drwx------+ 4 Titun None 0 Sep 12 15:20 .

drwx------+ 5 Titun None 0 Sep 12 15:20 ..

drwx------+ 2 Titun None 0 Sep 12 15:20 taskTracker

drwx------+ 2 Titun None 0 Sep 12 15:20 ttprivate

Do you know what can be the issue? I am assuming owner shd be the
problem but how can I change process owner to Titun?

Any pointers would help

Regards,

Shreya

Posted by Bejoy KS <be...@gmail.com>.
Shreya

Posted by Bejoy KS <be...@gmail.com>.
Shreya

Posted by Bejoy KS <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shreya

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Shreya,

> I was getting the message owner SYSTEM when I was using default
> I was getting the message - running as TITUN, but the same error

What user are you actually launching the TaskTracker as? The directory
owner (user) must be == process owner (user) of the TT, and things
should be fine! Can you confirm that this isn't the case? What version
of Hadoop are you using?

P.s. Am really beginning to dislike MS Exchange or your sysadmin's
mailer settings here :-)

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM,  <Sh...@cognizant.com> wrote:
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
> Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.

--
Harsh J

RE: Issues starting TaskTracker

Posted by Sh...@cognizant.com.
Hi Harsh

I was getting the message owner SYSTEM when I was using default locations for "mapred.system.dir" and "mapred.local.dir" in mapred-site.xml

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Shreya,

--
Harsh J

RE: Issues starting TaskTracker

Posted by Sh...@cognizant.com.
Hi Harsh

I tried changing the owner, still getting the same error.

Regards
Shreya

> Starting tasktracker with owner as SYSTEM

> Failed to set permissions of path: /usr/local/mapredLocalDir/ttprivate to 0700

Is this directory owned by user 'SYSTEM'? For the TaskTracker to start
properly, ensure that the mapred.local.dirs are all owned by the same
user as the one the TaskTracker would run as.

P.s. Your original email came as some form of attachment, and what the
list users actually saw was the legal mumbo jumbo footers alone. I
don't suppose that's normal.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello Shreya,