Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2010/02/17 01:07:49 UTC

[VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (RC 0)

I have created a candidate build for Avro release 1.3.0.

In this release:
  - the Avro file format has been revised and simplified;
  - the source tree and release artifacts have been restructured;
  - the Python port has been largely rewritten;
  - the C port is now considerably more complete, supporting data files;
  - a Ruby port has been added, supporting data files and RPC.

Please download, test, and vote by 19 February.

http://people.apache.org/~cutting/avro-1.3.0-RC0/

Thanks,

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (RC 0)

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.
For what its worth, I'm going into production with a version that contains AVRO-392 and AVRO-414 next week (with an avro schema 5k in size).

It would certainly be useful to me if we can get those in.  AVRO-392 is very close, and AVRO-414 has extra file format tests and Java API enhancements.

Thanks,
-Scott

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (RC 0)

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Doug,

The tarball unpacks into "build/avro-src-1.3.0/...". Can we remove the
"build/" prefix and unpack directly to "avro-src-1.3.0/..."?

Thanks,
Jeff

RE: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (RC 0)

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (RC 0)

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
My vote is -1 on rc0 because of the avro-c and documentation issue.

I misquoted the contents of the avro-doc-1.3.0.tar.gz file.  The correct
contents of the file are:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  avro-doc-1.3.0.tar.gz

so it appears that signature generation is overwriting our docs?

Does the C build fail on the build server?
Does it have asciidoc and source-highlight installed?

% yum install asciidoc source-highlight

should fix that problem.

-Matt

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (RC 0)