Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ron Gilbert <li...@rzweb.com> on 2005/06/17 14:58:11 UTC

Problems upgrading 1.1.3 to 1.2.0

I have been running subversion 1.1.3 for about a month with no
problems.  I just upgraded to 1.2.0 and now I can't connect the the
server anymore.  I am using svnserve on FreeBSD 5.4.

When I try and connect, I get:

svn: Can't connect to host 'xxxxxx.net': Connection refused

I have tried connecting from my XP machine and from the local machine
and I get the same error.  I can connect from the local machine using
file://.  I have tried creating a new repository and a new project to
make sure it is not a compatibility issue with my 1.1.3 repositories,
but I get the same error.  I've tried anon-access as well as
auth-access with the same results.

I have verified that the server is running (via ps).  I can't see any
place that svnserve is writing error logs.  I am starting svnserve via:

svnserve -d -r /home/svn/repository

I've tried running svnserve using --foreground and nothing is printed
to the screen.

I sounds like the connection is never even getting to svnserve.  Did
something change from 1.1.3?  Port?  Nothing has changed on the
machine.  It was working.  I upgraded (using ports) and now it doesn't
work.

Any suggestions?

Ron

Re: Problems upgrading 1.1.3 to 1.2.0

Posted by Jim Morris <mo...@wolfman.com>.
The server is probably listening on ipv6 only, this is a common problem
with the new svnserver on *BSD systems.

Add --listen-host=0.0.0.0 to the command line when you start svnserve,
that will force it to use ipv4.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Problems upgrading 1.1.3 to 1.2.0 (FIXED)

Posted by Ron Gilbert <li...@rzweb.com>.
After some further investigation, I found the problem.  On FreeBSD,
1.2.0 only listens to ipv6.

Adding --listen-host=0.0.0.0 when starting svnserve fixes the problem.

Posted by David Marshall <dm...@gmail.com>.
You may need to reinstall at least Subversion and possibly apr to get
it to work correctly.

The first few times I installed 1.2.0 on FreeBSD, it didn't pass 'make check'.

Try this:

* Go to /usr/ports/devel/subversion/work/subversion-1.2.0 and run
'make check'.  I am guessing you'll get a problem here.
* I don't know what the minimal fix is, but what worked for me was to
uninstall any existing Subversion, look for any remnants in
/usr/local, and so on.  Reinstall devel/apr, using
APR_UTIL_WITHOUT_THREADS=yes (check the Makefile for the exact option
name).  If you don't use BDB, also use
APR_UTIL_WITHOUT_BERKELEY_DATABASE=yes as well.

I've traded some emails with lev about this, and we don't think
there's an easy solution.  There's something going on that I don't
quite understand, and I just don't have the time to investigate it.  I
got it to the point that 'make check' passed everything and decided to
be happy about it.

99% of the time, I trust a FreeBSD port build to work correctly.  For
Subversion, however, it's just always going to be necessary to double
check it.