Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Dogbert <vi...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/31 13:49:23 UTC

guacamole and scaling?

Hi,

So general question to anyone and everyone using guacamole. A while back I
did a POC using guacamole in place of noVNC, using Grails, as the back-end.
Now looking to take the next step, and I was wondering how well does a
single node of guacamole scale in other peoples experience? To clarify what
I mean when I say scale, how many sessions, have you been able to run on
one server? What configurations have people used to scale up what they can
support? Does anyone have any suggestions, or rules of thumb they've
figured out on the way. Thanks for any ideas, suggestions, or responses.

-Tucker

Re: guacamole and scaling?

Posted by Dogbert <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Cool. So what we have now with novnc is our Grails application, which sends
through an Apache instance, in front of a bunch of nodes, where we run the
sessions(around 400 at any given time). Each node has novnc/websockify on
it, which is a recent change, by another coworker for performance, before
we had a couple of websockify instances in front of the nodes. Each session
usually has one user working on it, but could share it with more people. On
the nodes we run one of several CAD like applications. I don't know all the
specifics of the servers, but I know the nodes have dedicated GPUS and a
good amount of memory.

For the POC I did, I had the connection setup in our Grails webapp, and
guacd on the nodes. However, we are also spreading out into multiple  data
centers, to reduce latency. So what I'm thinking of doing is spiting the
websocket connection out into a separate webapp/service, decoupling that
part from the main app, and have the client route/connect based on the data
center the node is started on.

Thanks,
Tucker

Re: guacamole and scaling?

Posted by Antony Awaida <an...@apporto.com>.
Hi Mike and Dogbert:

We also have developed a load test for guacamole using AWS and are happy to
share our findings..

I am confused on one item: in a recent email from Al Gore mentions that he
is using the Load balancing capabilities of .9.0.12
Excerpt: " I recommend having a cluster
of servers running Debian MINIMAL INSTALL for nothing but instances of guacd
(and use 0.9.12's new load balancing feature)."

Where can we find more information about the load balancing feature?

Thanks,
Antony

and use 0.9.12's new load balancing feature
ᐧ

--
Antony Awaida
CEO