Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2009/01/08 18:49:53 UTC

Discussion: ESB or ServiceMix Integration

Anil sent out an email some time ago with the subject "Application
framework technology set" in which he started a discussion on new
technologies that could be used in OFBiz. One of the technologies
mentioned - Enterprise Service Bus - received several "+1" responses, so
I thought I would get the discussion started on that one technology.

Apache's ServiceMix was suggested as one solution to implementing ESB.
Should we start looking at that? Or are there other alternatives that
would be better?

Does anyone have experience using ESB who would be willing to coordinate
the integration effort?

I'm willing to help with this effort. Is anyone else available?

-Adrian

Re: OFBiz APIwebsite not work now

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, but the API is at http://api.ofbiz.org/  (from the main page).
Anyway you can generate it and use it locally : run "ant docs-all"

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

OFBiz APIwebsite not work now

Re: Discussion: ESB or ServiceMix Integration

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 9, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> David E Jones wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Raj Saini wrote:
>>> 1. Internally to make OFBiz applications to talk to each other.
>>> This will make OFBiz more modular and applications loosely coupled.
>> I'm pretty strongly against trying to make all OFBiz applications
>> loosely coupled. Much of the efficiency and power of OFBiz comes
>> from the fact that the entire enterprise can share common data,
>> like Party and Product data, inherently because they use the same
>> database tables.
>> To me loose coupling means that the applications share nothing...
>> they exclusively communicate through messages or services and have
>> minimal dependencies on each other. Loose coupling is not always a
>> good thing. Loose coupling of things that are closely related, or
>> that are the same thing from different aspects or angles, results
>> in redundancy and inconsistency.
>

> On the other hand, loose coupling could facilitate something Andrew
> wished for: the ability to pick and choose modules without all of
> the built-in dependencies.

So, how would we go about doing that?

-David

Re: Discussion: ESB or ServiceMix Integration

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 9, 2009, at 12:47 AM, Raj Saini wrote:

> David E Jones wrote:
>> To me loose coupling means that the applications share nothing...
>> they exclusively communicate through messages or services and have
>> minimal dependencies on each other. Loose coupling is not always a
>> good thing. Loose coupling of things that are closely related, or
>> that are the same thing from different aspects or angles, results
>> in redundancy and inconsistency.
> This is a good article how Event driven Architecture (EDA) can fit
> into a Enterprise System.
>
> http://www.eaipatterns.com/docs/EDA.pdf

I'm not sure what this has to do with loose versus tight coupling of
_applications_. It is more related to loose coupling of individual
units of logic.

That is an interesting document, and actually does a great job of
describing what the OFBiz Service Engine is all about.

-David

Re: Discussion: ESB or ServiceMix Integration

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> To me loose coupling means that the applications share nothing... they
> exclusively communicate through messages or services and have minimal
> dependencies on each other. Loose coupling is not always a good thing.
> Loose coupling of things that are closely related, or that are the
> same thing from different aspects or angles, results in redundancy and
> inconsistency.
This is a good article how Event driven Architecture (EDA) can fit into
a Enterprise System.

http://www.eaipatterns.com/docs/EDA.pdf

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
I see two possible scenarios where ESB can be used in OFBiz:

1. Internally to make OFBiz applications to talk to each other. This
will make OFBiz more modular and applications loosely coupled.

2. Make external applications talk to OFBiz.

ServiceMix ESB implements Java ESB standard called Java Business
Integration (JBI). Therefore, it should be JBI integration and not the
particular ESB such as ServiceMix.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I have no real experience (I mean fieldwork), I just read some articles (notably 1st chapter of http://www.manning.com/rademakers/
when it was written - Manning Early Access Program -). There the 1st and 4th chpater are now downloadable
>From what I read, and because it's Apache, I would favored Service Mix.

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@hlmksw.com>