Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Mulhern <mc...@tripyramid.com> on 2006/05/30 22:11:03 UTC

not so Newbie- bad fedora 5.0 install?

I am new to the list, but a long time spamassassin user.  I have never
needed to subscribe becuase it has always simply worked.

the problem I have is that I pipe the mail through SA, but SA does not
appear to process the mail.  That is, I do not get the additional lines to
the header etc- the mail looks just like it did before the piping.

I have checked the /etc/procmailrc is there and working-  it is (after the
piping to SA I can add lines to /etc/procmailrc to copy mail etc and they
work properly so I assume the pipe above them is working)

configuration: (as plain jane as they come)
OS: Fedora 5.0
SA ver: spamassassin-3.1.1-1.fc5

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
required_hits 5
report_safe 0
rewrite_header Subject **SPAM**

/etc/procmailrc:
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

there are no messages in /var/log/messages that indicate any sort of errors
worth logging.

I do not believe I have done anything to change the default behavior of SA
to add header lines etc-

any comment?  many thanks to all-  michael

      *******************
Michael C. Mulhern
TriPyramid Structures, Inc.
59 Power Rd.
Westford,  MA   01880

978-692-0555  (v)
978-692-0666 (f)

mcm@tripyramid.com
www.tripyramid.com

    ***********************

Re: not so Newbie- bad fedora 5.0 install?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> /etc/procmailrc:
> :0fw
> | /usr/bin/spamassassin

You would be considerably better off in terms of system resources to be
using spamc/spamd for this sort of configuration.  That said, I can't see
why this should stop working now if it has been working before.

What changed?  You say you have been using it for years and it worked, and
now it doesn't.  Did it just stop one day?  Did you upgrade versions?
Upgrade OS? Something else?

Try running 'spamassassin --lint' as the same user that SA would run as from
procmail, and see what the output is.  It shouldn't say anything.  If it
does you have configuration problems to fix.  Getting past that, you can run
with the -D option and get all kinds of useful information that may help.

        Loren