Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2006/02/21 04:07:46 UTC

[ApacheDS] New issues with name parser

Emmanuel,

I'm thinking some of the recent changes on the name parser may have
introduced new problems.

These are really weird problems.  They happen only when running
regression tests in maven within the server-unit module.  Yeah crazy.
Basically to reproduce run "mvn -Dregression test" inside the
apacheds/server-main module.  These are the tests that fail:

$ mvn -Dregressions test
[INFO]
[INFO] Building ApacheDS Server Unit
T E S T S
[surefire] Running org.apache.directory.server.AddObjectClassesToEntryTest
[surefire] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 3, Time elapsed: 0.113 sec
<<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.directory.server.MiscTest
[surefire] Tests run: 7, Failures: 0, Errors: 7, Time elapsed: 0.177 sec
<<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.directory.server.MatchingRuleCompareTest
[surefire] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 3, Time elapsed: 0.08 sec
<<<<<<<< FAILURE !!

Now when these tests run inside eclipse there is no problem.  Here's
what teh surefire report
looks like for these failures.  They are all pretty much the same trace:
========================================================================================================
o.a.d.shared.ldap.exception.LdapConfigurationException: Failed to
normalize the suffix: ou=system
[Root exception is o.a.d.shared.ldap.exception.LdapInvalidNameException:
Parser failure on name:
        ou=system
Antlr exception trace:
line 1:1: unexpected token: ou
        at
o.a.d.shared.ldap.name.antlrNameParser.attributeTypeAndValue(antlrNameParser.java:192)
        at
o.a.d.shared.ldap.name.antlrNameParser.nameComponent(antlrNameParser.java:120)
        at
o.a.d.shared.ldap.name.antlrNameParser.name(antlrNameParser.java:69)
        at o.a.d.shared.ldap.name.DnParser.parse(DnParser.java:208)
        at o.a.d.shared.ldap.name.LdapName.<init>(LdapName.java:115)
        at
o.a.d.server.core.configuration.DirectoryPartitionConfiguration.setSuffix(DirectoryPartitionConfiguration.java:203)
========================================================================================================

The suspect code is at
o.a.d.server.core.configuration.DirectoryPartitionConfiguration.setSuffix(DirectoryPartitionConfiguration.java:203:

    /**
     * Sets the suffix of the {@link DirectoryPartition}.
     */
    protected void setSuffix( String suffix ) throws NamingException
    {
        suffix = suffix.trim();
        try
202:  {
203:        new LdapName( suffix );       <<<<<<<<================== HERE!!!
204:  }
        catch ( NamingException e )
        {
            throw new LdapConfigurationException( "Failed to normalize
the suffix: " + suffix, e );
        }
        this.suffix = suffix;
    }

This is crazy though because how the heck is the parser failing on
"ou=system" and succeeding on all test cases I cannot understand.  I
think I'm loosing my mind on this one this is why I need a second
opinion.  Please advise.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [ApacheDS] New issues with name parser

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Emmanuel,

Ok this is part II:

I have found a way to reproduce the error in eclipse.  Looks like
running org.apache.directory.server.jndi.ServerContextFactoryTest before
running org.apache.directory.server.AddObjectClassesToEntryTest makes
the parser fail.  This parser is a reused static parser by the LdapName
class.  I think something is going stale in the parser after the first
tests are run.

Try deleting the other tests minus these two in server-main module. Then
run these two tests together in elcipse using the run option for all
tests in the project.  Then you can reproduce the error within eclipse.

I am debugging now and for some reason the parser starts to see the
first token "ou" in the case of the "ou=system" string as a WS token of
type = 16.  This is a whitespace token.  I think deep down the lexer is
messed up somewhere.  I'll try to isolate what is making the lexer freak.

Alex