Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by M V <ht...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/07 15:43:48 UTC

Rasterizer TIFF Compression

Hello.  I'm currently using the rasterizer from the DOS prompt to convert
batches of SVG files to high resolution TIFF format for use in print.  I
didn't know this before, but apparently the TIFF format used is
uncompressed.  Is there a way to rasterize the files using LZW compression?

Thanks.

Re: Rasterizer TIFF Compression

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
M V wrote:
> Hello.  I'm currently using the rasterizer from the DOS prompt to
> convert batches of SVG files to high resolution TIFF format for use in
> print.  I didn't know this before, but apparently the TIFF format used
> is uncompressed.  Is there a way to rasterize the files using LZW
> compression?

   No (ex-patent issues), but the Tiff encoder we use (from JAI) does support
Deflate compress (similar to LZW - lossless and generally produces smaller files).
We currently don't export a mechanism for turning this on but if you know
anything about Java adding this would be fairly simple.

   You might also consider using PNG which also uses deflate and has some
'predictors' which can help a lot in compression.

   Also if you are generating 'high resolution TIFF' images have you looked
at using the TiledTranscoder from the contrib area?