Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/04 09:34:44 UTC

[HEADS UP] NMR and Features POM refactoring

L.S.,

For fixing https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SMX4-794, I would
like to introduce a distinction between a parent/pom.xml (that acts as
a bill-of-materials, listing core components, and that can be reused
by end users) and the root pom.xml (that has the properties, plugins,
... we need for building the project) in both the NMR and the Features
project.  While I'm working on this, I'll also try to remove any
unnecessary bits from the POMs to make them as maintainable as
possible.

The goal is to create:
- a parent/pom.xml in the NMR project with the bill of materials for
that project
- a root pom.xml in the NMR project that has parent/pom.xml as a
parent and adds the bits we need for our builds
- a parent/pom.xml in the Features project with the bill of materials,
using the parent/pom.xml from the NMR as a parent
- a root pom.xml in the Features projects with our specific build
properties/plugins/... again

Since this is quite a refactoring to both projects' POMs, it might be
best to be careful about doing any other changes to those POMs in the
meanwhile until I get these things committed to avoid merge conflicts
afterwards.  I'll try to make these changes as quickly and efficiently
as possible -- will send a new notice as soon as the bulk of the work
is done.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Re: [HEADS UP] NMR and Features POM refactoring

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

As indicated this morning, I separated out a parent/pom.xml in both
the NMR and Features project that people can refer to if they want to
define the right version of Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ/... for their own
builds.  The bulk of the work should be done by now.

I also removed unused properties, dependencies, ... here and there to
make the POM smaller and more maintainable.  There's probably a bit
more optimization to be done there, so don't hesitate to take a stab
at reducing the POMs a bit more if you see anything that can be
removed.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
FuseSource