Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Qian Ye <ba...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/18 22:53:41 UTC

debug for Flink

Hi

I’m wondering if new debugging methods/tools  are urgent for Flink development. I know there already exists some debug methods for Flink, e.g., remote debugging of flink clusters(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Remote+Debugging+of+Flink+Clusters <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Remote+Debugging+of+Flink+Clusters>). But are they are convenient enough?

Best regards.

Re: debug for Flink

Posted by Kien Truong <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We put a lot of logging in our code the flow of events as they flow
between operators,

this is done at the DEBUG level.

Normally this logging would be turn off by setting the logging level to
INFO or above,

because logging everything is expensive and a cluttered log is harder to
analyze.

When we need to switch the logging to DEBUG level,

we currently change the configuration files, then restart the job,

so that Flink would pick up and use the updated files during redeployment.

The other option is to manually track down the location of each YARN
container,

and update the configuration files directly,  but that's a lot of work,

and not possible if you don't have superuser right on that machine, due
to our security setup.

That's why we want an easier way to change the logging level.

Best regards,

Kien

Re: debug for Flink

Posted by Qian Ye <ba...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your kind reply.

Re: debug for Flink

Posted by Kien Truong <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: debug for Flink

Posted by Qian Ye <ba...@gmail.com>.
That sounds nice. But the lazy evaluation feature of Flink seems to cause the debug process more different with a regular Java/Scala application. Do you know how to debug a Flink application, e.g., tracing some local variables, in IDE?

Best,
Stephen

Re: debug for Flink

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.