Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Eric Lemings <Er...@roguewave.com> on 2008/06/09 19:22:38 UTC

Default BUILDTYPE and/or BUILDMODE?

What is the default BUILDTYPE if it is not defined in the build (make)
command?

Here are some values from $builddir/makefile.in when BUILDTYPE is not
specified:

CONFIG_H   = gcc-4.1.1-
BUILDTYPE  =
BUILDMODE  =
LIBBASE    = std$(BUILDTYPE)

Are these values correct?  I haven't looked but do the docs say if
BUILDTYPE (or BUILDMODE) is required?  Or what the default is?  If there
isn't a default, I think we should establish one: shared, reentrant in
all snapshots (i.e. all development) and release on all systems, wide
builds on wide systems in snapshots and releases that support them,
debug in snapshots, and optimized in releases.

Thanks,
Brad.

RE: Default BUILDTYPE and/or BUILDMODE?

Posted by Eric Lemings <Er...@roguewave.com>.

Hmm.  Unless there are objections, I'm inclined to file an enhancement
request to allow building with a default build type (or mode).

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Travis Vitek wrote:

>> Eric Lemings wrote:
>>
>> What is the default BUILDTYPE if it is not defined in the build (make)
>> command?
>
> 11s

Not quite. The default build type is no optimization (no -O),
no debugging (no -g), and no reentrancy. There's no numeric
mnemonic for it.

Martin

Posted by Eric Lemings <Er...@roguewave.com>.

Right.  Developers usually build with debugging turned on but users will
more likely opt for optimized builds for installation.

A "release" is a copy of a source distribution (or the tagged Subversion
repositories used to create such distributions).  A "snapshot" is any
other non-released copy of the source.

Posted by Travis Vitek <Tr...@roguewave.com>.

>Eric Lemings wrote:
>
>What is the default BUILDTYPE if it is not defined in the build (make)
>command?

11s