Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jan-Kees van Andel <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/27 16:09:14 UTC

Real world MyFaces 2.0 webapp

Hey folks,

Somewhere in the past I started working on a real world example webapp. I
guess it's already a year ago. :-) But now I have some free time to work on
this again.

Currently I use MyFaces 2.0 (of course), OpenWebBeans and OpenJPA 2.0. I
also use Hibernate Validator. I got a strange error with CODI, so I skipped
it for now to stay up-to-speed, but I guess we should get that one in.

My goal with this example app was to bridge the gap between the current set
of example apps and the real world issues that application developers
struggle with.
It could also be a nice example of a joint effort between multiple Apache
projects, which would be good for the professional image of Apache.

So, this example app has a pretty big domain model, security, layered
architecture, etc. Also stuff like logging, caching and performance is being
taken care of, so people can compare their app with this one. And this app
can serve as a living documentation in which the answers to Frequently Asked
Questions can be found.

2 things:
1 Since everybody has a different idea of what a "good" app looks like, I
expect a lot of discussions on the mailing list. But I think this is a good
thing, because those discussions are also valuable for developers. Based on
those discussions, they can choose the proper solution for their context.
Those discussions can for example be referenced from the source code.
2 Where to put the code? My idea for now was to create a top level "sandbox"
directory within MyFaces because this clearly indicates that it's a work in
progress and outsiders shouldn't look at it yet. But then at least it's in
Apache version control. I can also put it into GoogleCode or GitHub, but I
prefer Apache, because I think more people will find it there.

additional pages before I commit it. Of course every line of code may be
subject to discussion, but I prefer concrete discussions based on working
code. That's why I'd prefer a bigger initial commit, incl. a Wiki page with
architectural decisions etc.

Wdyt?

Regards,
Jan-Kees

Re: Real world MyFaces 2.0 webapp

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 27, 2010, at 7:09 AM, Jan-Kees van Andel wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Somewhere in the past I started working on a real world example webapp. I guess it's already a year ago. :-) But now I have some free time to work on this again.
>
> Currently I use MyFaces 2.0 (of course), OpenWebBeans and OpenJPA 2.0. I also use Hibernate Validator.

If you want to line up with more apache projects you could look into apache bval.

david jencks

Posted by Gerhard <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi,

the "codi issue" you saw happens due to an owb config bug
(see org.apache.webbeans.useOwbSpecificXmlConfig=true)

imo we should just use portable features.

regards,
gerhard

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -