Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Rita <rm...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/26 15:34:34 UTC

changing node's rack

What is the best way to change the rack of a node?

I have tried the following: Killed the datanode process. Changed the rackmap
file so the node && and ip address entry reflect the new rack and I do a
'-refreshNodes'. Restarted the datanode.  But it seems the datanode is keep
getting register to the old rack.

Re: changing node's rack

Posted by Rita <rm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Allen.

I really hope this gets addressed. Leaving it in cache can become
dangerous.

Re: changing node's rack

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.
On Mar 26, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> I think that the namenode remembers the rack.  Restarting the datanode
> doesn't make it forget.

Correct.

Re: changing node's rack

Posted by Rita <rm...@gmail.com>.
I think I tried this. I have a data file which has the map, ip address:rack,
hostname:rack. I changed that and did a refreshNodes. Is this what you mean?
Or something else? I would be more than happy to test it.

RE: changing node's rack

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: changing node's rack

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: changing node's rack

Posted by Chris Collins <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Darren, people don't necessarily make things rack aware for performance.  Consider if you have a rack of datanodes and all your block replicas  on nodes in that rack. If you have a switch, power strip failure you would be down.  You are also able to provision in data centers two circuits so by placing racks on different circuits reduces your chances of having downtime if their is a power failure.  The power case of course you can also handle by buying more expensive hw that has dual power supplies straddling the two circuits.

Posted by da...@ontrenet.com.