Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "CRANFORD, CHRIS" <Ch...@setech.com> on 2012/04/12 16:24:43 UTC

Data Grids & Excel Exports

I have several queries that I perform against my SQL database to get a
list of records and then iterate over them in a paginated way in JSPs.
Presently, I have a JSP for each query's output because there are
various different columns being shown depending upon the report; however
I am wondering if there is a better streamlined approach to this rather
than relying heavily on the JSP to control the columns displayed?

Taking this one step forward, I've added Excel exports; however it's
reliant on the report export service to iterate the result set (just
like the JSP does) and add the column headings, values for each row and
perform any formatting needed.  The service then hands the struts action
a ByteArrayOutputStream object that gets streamed back to the browser
through the action.

In both cases, the JSP/service are driving what columns are shown,
controls formatting, etc.  This means should a new column be added,
formatting changed, or a column removed from the JSP, one has to
remember to update the adjacent export service as well and from a design
perspective that seems redundant.  I'd rather have a single place that
controls what columns are shown/hidden, manages formatting, etc.

How has others tackled similar designs in the past?

Re: Data Grids & Excel Exports

Posted by Josep García <jg...@isigma.es>.
Use conditionals in you jsp, combined with displaytag. For instance, I use
this:

<%
if (request.isUserInRole("ROLE_ONE")) {
%>
    <display:column titleKey="mybean.actions" property="status" />
<%
}
%>

As for performance, did you try external sorting and pagination?

Cheers,
Josep

RE: Data Grids & Excel Exports

Posted by "CRANFORD, CHRIS" <Ch...@setech.com>.