Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Igor Chudov <ic...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/17 18:18:06 UTC

new mod_perl more optimized?

I switched my main site algebra.com to new mod_perl
last weekend. It has to handle about 3-4 http requests
per second.

First thing that I noticed was that process memory
growth has stopped.

Second thing that I noticed was that load average went
down from about 0.3 to about 0.1. (I run some other
stuff on my server also, lots of mail handling).

I am curious, just what did you guys do to get to this
point? In any case, great job!

- Igor

Yahoo! Mail

Re: new mod_perl more optimized?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 09:18 -0700, Igor Chudov wrote:
> I am curious, just what did you guys do to get to this
> point?

It's an entirely new piece of software, since apache2 is entirely new as
well.  There probably is still room for optimization, since most work so
far has been focused just on getting everything working correctly.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working well for you.

- Perrin

Re: new mod_perl more optimized?

Posted by Igor Chudov <ic...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:

> Igor Chudov wrote:
> > I switched my main site algebra.com to new
> mod_perl
> > last weekend. It has to handle about 3-4 http
> requests
> > per second.
> >
> > First thing that I noticed was that process memory
> > growth has stopped.
> >
> > Second thing that I noticed was that load average
> went
> > down from about 0.3 to about 0.1. (I run some
> other
> > stuff on my server also, lots of mail handling).
> >
> > I am curious, just what did you guys do to get to
> this
> > point? In any case, great job!
>
> Did you switch from mp-1.xx, Igor? If so, mp2.0 is a
> complete rewrite,
> with lots of optimisations done based on the lessons
> learned from mp1,
> 99.9% of which were designed/implemented by Doug
> MacEachern.

No, I switched from Apache 2.0.52 to 54, and Mod_perl
2 to a more recent version of mod_perl2.

- Igor

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Re: new mod_perl more optimized?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Igor Chudov wrote:
> I switched my main site algebra.com to new mod_perl
> last weekend. It has to handle about 3-4 http requests
> per second.
>
> First thing that I noticed was that process memory
> growth has stopped.
>
> Second thing that I noticed was that load average went
> down from about 0.3 to about 0.1. (I run some other
> stuff on my server also, lots of mail handling).
>
> I am curious, just what did you guys do to get to this
> point? In any case, great job!

Did you switch from mp-1.xx, Igor? If so, mp2.0 is a complete rewrite,
with lots of optimisations done based on the lessons learned from mp1,
99.9% of which were designed/implemented by Doug MacEachern. Some of those
optimizations do things that normal perl users aren't permitted to do
(bypassing public APIs), therefore it's essential to constantly ensure
that mp2 continues to work under newer perl versions.